Adding one more cat to one cat home. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Adding one more cat to one cat home.

Hi everyone, let me first introduce you to the two cats in this story.

My cat is called Shiro and I have had him for the past two and a half years (he's 8 weeks older than that). He has lived indoors all his life. The other cat is a stray cat (used to have an owner before I think) who has more or less been living in our garage for the past two years, so Shiro knows him.

Recently, cat no. 2 (I will call him Ginger in this post) got into a fight with some other cat and got injured, so we took him to a vet and are now thinking of adopting him. We have kept him in a separate room for two days now with his food and litter tray and all, but whenever we try to introduce him to Shiro, Shiro starts hissing at him. Ginger seems like he wants to be friends though and only mews back in a sad type of way (no hissing).

So that's my problem, I feel that they like each other but Shiro feels threatened because he's quite small compared to Ginger. How do I make them best friends?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

Hissing on Shiro's part is entirely normal as right now he feels his territory is being invaded. Even though he might 'know' your new cat he has never been in the house before which seems different to Shiro. Two days is too soon to worry though - and also too soon to be introducing them face to face. Just leave the door closed to Ginger's room and let Shiro get more used to the idea of him being in there. You can feed Shiro near the door if he'll eat there, play with him near there, feed him treats near there - everything to create positive associations being near Ginger.

After 5 days to a week, I would get two baby gates and stack them in the doorway of Ginger's room so that he and Shiro can see each other. Continue the feeding in that area, the playing and treats. You can give both cats treats and play with them both, while they are still separated by the gates. You can also wipe the cats down with towels or cloths of some type, and then wipe Shiro down with the one with Ginger's scent and vice versa - or just let him smell it and be around it if he objects to having it on him. When Shiro's reactions become calmer, then is the time to try to introduce them briefly face to face. It can be a long process but definitely worth it in the long run.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured it'd be a long process. I'll try those things you mentioned. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Cat Addict

There is some great info on cat introduction by Jackson Galaxy both on you tube and on the internet. Heather has also given great advice. Intros are normally quite stressful for us as well as the cats because every pairing varies a little. The key is doing it a their pace, not to rush them. In the end it will pay off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page