Clumping litter scoops - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Clumping litter scoops

We've had cats for maybe 30 years, during which time we've had every type of litter box, including a no-litter box tray with just an adult diaper for a 20+ year old who could no longer climb into a litter box, much less cover anything with her paws.

Of late, I've come to appreciate that a liner is more trouble than it's worth. Also, once my anti-dust experiments finish up, I think I'll be happy with Scoop Away litter. Only one problem remains.

While the large lumps are easily scooped into a Litter Genie, there are small lumps in there as well, and they just pass right through the slots in the scoop. That scoop, as well as all I've seen in Petco and Petsmart, has openings--slots, actually--about 1/4" wide. I'm thinking 1/8" or maybe 3/16" would work better. Anyone know of anything like this? I've gone through Amazon's listings, but none look smaller than those I've seen, and the slot width doesn't seem to be a pertinent specification in the descriptions.

I'm halfway thinking about 1/8" hardware cloth, and making my own. Hardware cloth is a steel mesh product a lot like window screen but harder and with larger holes. 1/4" is pretty common. 1/8" is used, I believe, by beekeepers. Has anyone tried that?

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Premier Cat

I wish I had ideas for you, but I've had the same problem for years. One of my kitties' pee clumps tend to break apart easily, and then I end up with a bunch of small icky litter that passes through the scoop.

The ones with the thinnest slots are the really cheap plastic ones that you can get at PetSmart or Petco. I bought one years ago that works better than others, but when I got additional litterboxes and needed more, the ones I found with the thinnest slots are really shallow, so even if they catch more of the small pieces, it's hard to keep the big clumps in them.

I've never heard of hardware cloth, but it sounds like a great idea. I'd been trying to think of kitchen utensils that could be converted but haven't come up with anything.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I just found something. Continuing through about page 10 of my Amazon search for "cat litter scoop", I came across a scooping colander by Joseph Joseph (maker of stylish--and practical--kitchen utensils). The very first review of the product was by someone like me looking for a better litter scoop. It was a rave review, followed by a dozen or so comments, mostly from people with the same problem. A couple commented that the holes were too small. I'll see. I've just placed an order. The large scoop is $6.99, and it qualifies for Amazon Prime, if you have it, so free 2-day shipping.

If the holes are a bit small, I can enlarge with a round file or drill. At least small holes can be enlarged. Try making a large hole smaller! I'll report back my results. Amazon says I'll have it on Tuesday. Here's a link to the scoop:

I may still get the hardware cloth for my weekly sifting. Depends on how effective this pasta scoop is with little clumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Cat Addict

If you are looking at something with such small holes, how about a kitchen sieve strainer with handle? Instead if diying, but if you can diy one with the hardware mesh to your preference, I don't see why not.

p.s. oh bowserb, I think that one would be great for op.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Premier Cat

Ooh, that looks promising! It's kind of hilarious that the reviews are about using it as a litter scoop! While I was looking at it, I saw a couple of other possibilities. This one looks like it might be made out of a material similar to the hardware cloth you mentioned:

And this one has small openings, though one review says the end part is flimsy:

I might try both of them and would be happy to compare notes afterwards!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:22 AM
Cat

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 AM
Premier Cat

I use one similar to Emiline's that I got at either Petco or Petsmart. I like that it's metal and won't snap in 2 pieces when the scoop breaks. I found the amount to teeny clumps left over after scooping acceptable. I tend to thing the mesh ones would get clogged too easily.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Litter is not going to sift through that scoop.

Try this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Litter-Lifter-Kitty-Litter-Scoop-Assorted/dp/B0048ZAMYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411906350&sr=8-1&keywords=litter+lifter#Ask
Yes, it's plastic but I've had 2 of them for like 3 years and no signs of breaking.

The Durascoop that Emiline recommended is a great scoop (that's what I was using before the Litter Lifter above) but the slots are wider.

BTW, having tons of little broken off bits means the litter doesn't clump hard enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiline View Post
We have one that looks similar to this

Amazon.com : Duranimals DuraScoop Cat Litter Scoop (colors may vary) : Pet Supplies

It works a charm for us!
Emiline, can you tell me how wide the slots are in this scoop? The 1/4" slots in my current--and those I've seen in the pet shops--are wide enough for small clumps to pass through.

Thanks.
Bill
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Cat Addict

I am glad someone posted this as I have been looking for a new scoop for a second litter box. I have been using an old metal slotted spatula and I like it. My litter doesn't break up in clumps much though. But if I see a little one, I just use the tip of the spatula to get it and the slots allow for dry pieces to go through. Also I don't mind if some good litter goes into the garbage bag since I don't change the litter often. I just add to the litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page