Where to Buy Nice Collars - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Where to Buy Nice Collars

I am a collar fanatic and am disappointed with the lack of really nice selection on collars for cats (when compared to what there are for dogs). I know cats need the breakaway style but was wondering if anyone has experience with the ones with the little piece of stretchy elastic instead of break away. I have looked on hundreds of online stores to find the "right" collars with no luck. Any links to some good stores?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Premier Cat

I bought these for my two younger boys!
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/249...aid=484b3b58b7

and

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/249...aid=484b3b58b7

I don't usually like them to wear collars but my Mom is visiting for 2 weeks and this is her first time meeting Neelix. THey look NOTHING alike but she'll never be able to tell Book and Neelix apart so... that was my excuse. Pretty collars in different colors so Grandma would know who was who. (50 to 1 she'll never remember who wears which color).
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Premier Cat

Those are just so classy!....and reasonably priced. I'd say etsy is the best place for unusual things. I just bought some gorgeous glass bead plant hangers from that site!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Premier Cat

I got the bell for Neelix (I figured the other cats would appreciate knowing when he's about to pounce) and the plain charm for Book. I thought the white and red would look good against black fur.

They are in the mailbox now, I can't wait to try them on!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Tom Cat

Yeah, I would check Etsy. There are a few shops that have a bunch of cat collars. I have been browsing there for the "perfect" collars for my boys. I haven't found them yet but that is where I have found the best selection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I have looked over hundreds and hundreds of collars on etsy and none have screamed "that's the one". I'll keep looking.
Does anyone have the style with the elastic instead of breakaway?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Kitten

I don't like the break-aways because I use tags. I get small dog collars from petmountain and jazz them up myself.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Cat

I bought my dogs and Merlin's collars from etsy as well. I went with an extra small dog collar for Merlin. He has no chance of getting out so I didn't get a breakaway one. I wanted one where it would be impossible for him to remove his bell and tags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Premier Cat

After what I've seen that can happen to a cat THAT doesn't have a breakaway collar...:'(
Mine will ONLY wear those kind!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Premier Cat

Agreed, there are just as many things INSIDE the house he can get snaggd on as outside.

Elastic will never happen here again. I had an elastic collar when I first adopted MowMow. I thought they were perfect for him, he could just slip out of it. No.

I've always kept his nails trimmed but somehow he got his back claw hooked in the elastic and it would up somehow twisting around his foot. I presume while he was trying to get his claw free. He was panting for breath and his foot was cold when I got home from work. I cut it off and LUCKILY it all worked out okay. It must not have cut off circulation long but he could have choked himself AND lost his back foot.

Breakaway buckles here. I'd rather them lose the collar than get hurt.

Also, there is ALWAYS a chance they can somehow one day get out. A door is left open a second too long... a screen falls out a window... a guest leaves and no one notices the cat slip out until it's too late... Never say never with cats. Just because a cat has never door dashed before does NOT mean they'll 'never' try it.

Last edited by MowMow; 12-11-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page