Litter box odors even with scooping often? Need litter recommendations! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Litter box odors even with scooping often? Need litter recommendations!

I'm getting really fed up with my litter boxes (I have 2 in a 850 sq. ft. apartment). Lately I've noticed that sometimes when I walk in my apartment, I smell a litter box odor which totally disgusts me since I'm a very cleanly and scent-obsessed person. My frustration is that the litter boxes seem to stink like a yucky faint urine scent/muddy litter scent, even with scooping daily. The issue isn't things being in the litter box... the issue is that the dang pee clumps keep falling apart, or atleast this is what I'm assuming is the issue. I'd say half of the time I get solid clumps, the other half of the time I can see them falling apart and see darker marks in the litter. I'm using Tidy Cats Small Spaces because I love the scent... but lately it just doesn't seem to clump as well!

Any advice? I'm dumping the litter boxes out, adding a liner and refilling them tomorrow. Just frustrating since the litter box in the office was just totally refilled about a month ago and I've added litter since, so it's kind of a waste. In the past, the litter clumped really well so if I scooped daily and added litter every now and then I hardly ever had to totally clean them out.

Am I doing something wrong here? haha any litter advice for these sorts of issues? I have absolutely loved the Tidy Cats and for whatever reason I seem to be having issues now... not sure if it's my scoop, a formula change, or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Premier Cat

M&E,

I know you like Tidy Cats Small Spaces. How about if you combine an unscented scoopable clay litter with it? I like Dr. Elsey's in the Blue bag, but I think there are others like Arm & Hammer, Fresh Step Multicat Unscented, which contains carbon for odor control, for example. I personally use a local brand called Integrity Multicat which contains zeolite if I feel the litter needs some odor control at times.

The best scoop I've found that prevents clumps from breaking is the Litter Lifter. It is my preferred scoop because you almost never need to shake the pee clumps--the clean litter just slides right through very easily.

Hope this gets you some ideas, good luck, let us know what works for you.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Tom Cat

I'm not terribly familiar with different styles/varieties of litter, but I can tell you that I've received compliments for the lack of odor in my room from friends discovering I keep Jasper's box there. I used to use Arm and Hammer Double Duty but I switched to Clump and Seal because it's less grainy and seems like it would be more comfortable for him. He's never had any issues or complaints with either, so I figure he approves! I know you're not supposed to use clumping litter with kittens, but I didn't learn that until recently and I've never had a problem with him using the box for anything other than its proper purpose so I'm not too worried

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Cat

I love Scoop away super clump. I have the experience that no other litter clumps as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

When you say you scoop daily, how many times a day is that?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone! So my boyfriend and I were going to buy litter and I INSTANTLY realized my mistake as I was looking at litter.

One time I was needing litter but was at a store that didn't have the Small Spaces litter. I grabbed the Tidy Cats Glade litter (Tidy Cats Scoop Tough Odor Solutions with Glade Cat Litter - Odor Control and Clumping Kitty Cat Litter - petco.com) thinking it would be fine and mixed it in with my Small Spaces litter. I looked at reviews online and EVERYONE has the same issue I did... it had a super weird strong smell (not even necessarily urine, just strong... and gross) and does NOT clump hardly at all, the pee just dissolves and makes the room smell weird.

So long story short... I dumped out the old litter, and we grabbed the Tidy Cats 24/7 in the 35lb container. Unfortunately now I'm reading online that this one isn't that good, either... DANGIT! Lol. Target didn't have my favorite Small Spaces unfortunately... so I may be dumping and refilling again sooner than I think! haha ohh no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbCatt View Post
M&E,

The best scoop I've found that prevents clumps from breaking is the Litter Lifter. It is my preferred scoop because you almost never need to shake the pee clumps--the clean litter just slides right through very easily.

Hope this gets you some ideas, good luck, let us know what works for you.
Thanks for your awesome suggestions, TabbCatt! I am definitely going to be grabbing that scoop... I need a new scoop, and that one has phenomenal reviews!
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
When you say you scoop daily, how many times a day is that?
I scoop once daily! It's never been an issue before, my kitties are small so their pees and poos are pretty small, especially split between two boxes. But these pee clumps falling apart was a massive problem!
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I think it might be because the pee clumps are piling on top of one another. I've never scooped less than 3 times a day. I use Tidy Cats and I love it.

And I only have ONE box for 3 cats.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Premier Cat

I scoop twice a day, in the morning after I get up and in the evening before I go to bed. I don't know if you have "Pet Valu" stores in U.S. but I've had good litter from their own brand of litter called "Fresh 4 Life", which clumps well and doesn't break apart, and has added baking soda to eliminate any odor, and is fairly inexpensive.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Premier Cat

You may try sprinkling baking soda on your litter boxes too. That helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page