break-away collars - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

break-away collars

Spring and summer are just around the corner here in the states (thank goodness!) and that means Tiger and Lily will be spending more and more time outside. Because we don't want our neighbors (or strangers for that matter) to think there are stray cats around, we'd like to get collars for the cats. I'm just terrified to put collars on them because I've heard the horror stories, and my little girls do all the things cats do - climb trees, crawl through thick brush, walk along tall fences, etc. - and so I want to get them break-away collars. But I want to get a good brand that breaks away very easily. I'd rather lose a collar than cause harm or worse to Tiger or Lily. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Premier Cat

I always get the breakaway buckle. I like those. Also, I always 'test' the collars. I buy one and put it on Book adjusted to his size. Then I tug at it and he always pulls back (that's why I use him, the other two will just move forward towards me, but Book always struggles). Also, bless his heart, he's not smart enough to learn that if he struggles the collars come off. I'd worry both MowMow and Neelix would figure that out quick if I tested more than a few collars on them.

I look for a collar that initially holds, I don't want it falling off because he brushed against something in the apartment.

What I want to see is when he starts twisting his head back and forth and jerking back hard that the buckle will release. If it doesn't pass these two tests then I return it. The three I have right now are perfect and they'll last forever because... they rarely wear them since they are indoor only.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Cat Addict

I go with Mow on this one. buy one. test it. If in doubt. buy another.. I am assuming that Tiger and Lily are chipped since they are adopted? If so make sure all your info is updated with current Vet info and shot records! Most people forget to update these!! This is the best way to make sure you get back your furballs, when they lose their collars!

When I have "strays" or cats that look lost or confused. I get them checked for chips! I have yet to find one actually with a chip though. so end up sending them for adoption if they are friendly enough and time has passed long enough that I feel no one is looking for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BotanyBlack; 02-19-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Cat

Whatever collar you choose, I would suggest getting a collar cover to protect songbirds: Colorful Cat Collar May Protect Birds in Your Yard : Discovery News

The added benefit is that the cats become more visible to cars as well.

Kathy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Kitten

any suggestions on collars that stay on? By the time my cat was about 6 months she figured out how to get hers off. Usually chewing it. After buying about five I gave up. She is an indoor cat but I liked the noise it made so I knew where she was (less likely to accidentally step on her).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Premier Cat

How is she able to chew her own collar? Is it so loose she can get it into her mouth?

I like the quick release buckle collars. Petco sells them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Kitten

I have no idea how she does it, I never seen it actually happen just find them. I bought all the quick release ones and tightened it as much as possible, I didn't want to choke her. The last one looked a little too tight but I wanted it to stay on. Somehow she got it off. I think a couple she chewed by the quick release button.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:06 AM
Premier Cat

Some safety buckle collars are better than others! Even if you had it adjusted, so she couldn't bite it off, if she still got a paw under it, and tugged, that might be all it took!
I have one Houdini cat, when it comes to wearing a collar! He always manages to get them off!
He also has help from another cat, his partner in crime! I've seen Biscuit 'helping' Charlie ditch the collar!:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Cat

Of the 4 OBVIOUS house cats that come around, only one wears a collar. Mine takes her collar off with ease, so she is one of the 3 that don't have one. My girl cat doesnt wander far, so I don't tend to fuss about it. I'm not sure how many people would actually get confused and think that a plump healthy cat doesnt have a home.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Cat

Our Pepper wears this collar. She managed a couple of times to lose it in the house.
Whisker CityŽ Breakaway Cat Collar | Collars | PetSmart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page