Rehoming barn kittens -right thing to do? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Rehoming barn kittens -right thing to do?

Hi guys,
I'm very seriously considering asking the local shelter in town to help me rehome the last remaining three batn cat kittens. I am failing miserable at keeping them safe - this morning right under my nose one of them snuck into the yard and were killed by my dogs. despite all my precations. I would dearly love to not have to loose another one. Of the six born, three are now left. Two disappeared one day, we think they were caught out in a storm and probably succombed to the cold. Sox brought one home and he was on deaths door, we managed to revive him, but he's just a little runt.
OUr farm technically already have too many cats with two other females also each having two kittens, Sox's previous litter of three still hanging around as well as other more feral males you only catch glimpses of. They are ten weeks old, eat like little piglets, so I think they'll be better off now with someone who can hopefully keep them safe, get them spayed\ neutered, etc. Sox who got what was supposed to be a contraceptive injection when they were roughly three weeks old is looking rather full again already. I might just have the vet spay her in any case, it feels like murder, but it might be better for those kits if they are just never born.
Am I doing the right thing? I'm thinking of putting big brother six month old LIvingstone up for adoption also, he's a lover boy with a worrying habit of entering my yard to hunt and getting treed by my dogs in the middle of the night and with me leaving on a ten day holiday week on next, I'm scared my Domestic Worker won't be able to save him in an emergency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Premier Cat

I'd say if you can't keep them safe then yes, absolutely. I would also run, not walk to the vet to have the female spayed. Not sure why a contraceptive injection was even administered, she should have been spayed straight off.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

MowMow, we were scared with the kittens being so small and us that if she's sore from her spay surgery she wouldn't let them suckle. At that moment we didn't know where the kittens were so if the worst did happen we couldn't even step in to save them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Premier Cat

2Siamese,
The Most Caring and Responsible action you can take, is to have ALL of your barn cats, spayed and neutered!
A cat under a year old, is still considered a kitten, because they are still growing and filling out....if one of these very young females ends up with kittens of her own to care for, she may not have the energy or strength to care for them.

I want to also say, as gently as I can....
You know you have dogs that kill your barn cats...
You have a mama, that may well be preggers again...
You say, that "it feels like murder" if you have the vet abort unborn kittens,
To me "murder" is what you witnessed, when you saw your dog, kill the one...
It's an act of kindness to save any other's the same fate...
I hope you can get some help, locally!
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 10cats2dogs; 04-02-2015 at 01:45 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Premier Cat

IMo it's way less horrible for those unborn kittens to be aborted humanely than mauled by dogs... just sayin'

The kittens (and mom) should have been kept in a stall, feed room, tack room etc until the kittens were big enough to find good homes and mom taken to be spayed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Cat Addict

I agree. Rehome any you can. preferably after making spay/neuter arrangements. You will feel better knowing they are safer. I have done spay/aborts before. IF it is early, if they are a few days of kittening, I cage/confine their furry butts until weaning, then spay mom. I would borrow/rent/buy a trap and catch the ones you can glimpse and alter them too.

When living out of town in a farm setting. I didn't worry about breeding kittens to replace old/feeble working cats. Always ferals I can get from shelters that need the home. I also found that altered felines do better without the constant struggle of males fighting and females going into heat constantly. so win/win for me. (fighting males tended to rile up the dogs too))

AS much as I OOO and AHHHH over kittens. I like them healthy and safe.

No one here is going to fault you for lowering the cat population, just take steps to keep it manageable both in numbers and your own sanity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Premier Cat

Let's see. Keep the kittens at your place, let them get eaten by dogs or otherwise killed outside or give them to a shelter that will find them decent homes. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Tom Cat

The good thing is that if you live in an area where barn cats are a thing- I'm in an urban area so we don't have that opportunity- rehoming is absolutely viable. There is also a possibility that the kittens could be socialized and kept in someone's home. I wouldn't feel at all guilty about rehoming in your situation and in fact since you say you are all ready overrun I'd think about rehoming some of the adults too.

Everyone should be speutered. Otherwise you are opening up the door for a lot of problems with the health of the colony.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Tom Cat

Our female cat was spayed when she was about 6 weeks pregnant. Since we'd only had her for 6 days, it wasn't our choice to do it so late, but it was a tough decision to let her go through with it, nonetheless.
It was the right decision. We don't have to worry about finding homes for a litter of kittens in a city with too many cats awaiting adoption. She's using all of her maternal instincts treating our large male cat as her "baby".
If you have your barn cats spayed and neutered, they'll still catch mice. When they start to grow old and die off, you'll probably be able to find shelters that offer "barn buddies" - spayed and neutered cats that for one reason or another are never going to be house pets. Some are simply feral and were never exposed to humans in their first 3 months of life, others perhaps have got unbreakable litter box or spraying habits.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Ok sorry it's been a few days since I checked in. Thanks for all the replies. My oocal shelter is refusing to help me. They have 17 cats to rehome. I have flyers up all over town for the kittens. Will talk to the shelter in the next town but I suspect I won't have much luck. I have already talked to the vet, Sox was a bit under the weather this week, but a bunch of raw meat from the cow we slaughtered have her doing much better. I'm Hoping to take her this week to be spayed. Yes it will be a spay/ abortion, but like more than one person said it's better than being killed by a dog. As soon as possible money wise Mittens, Sox's seven month old daughter will also be spayed. I'm Still trying to aquire a live trap for the other two females, they are uncatcheable. Shelter doesn't have one, farmers all have big traps for jackal and caracal, no use for a house cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page