Possibly moving away - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Possibly moving away

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move if I've put it in the wrong place.

I got Aggie in February, now she is turning 7-months and I may be moving away for work to the UK in a month or two. My heart is torn, because I don't want to leave her but taking her will be a big expense I am not sure I can handle. At the moment I live with my family and so I am able to save on rent etc. but when I move I'll be living with flatmates and it will be a little trickier practically and financially.

I don't know what exactly I am asking for in terms of advice, but I thought I'd share and see if any one else here has any thoughts or has maybe gone through the same sort of thing?

I'm sure like all of you here, your cats are the loves of your life, as Aggie is to me. I didn't know I would be going away for work for certain - actually now my visa is still in process so technically could be approved or declined - but either way the company need me at their office...

Sorry for the long post. Hope to hear from y'all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Premier Cat

How long will you be in the UK? Is this a permanent move or a temporary move?

My daughter lives in the UK, and she has a cat, Neko. She's been back and forth between the UK and Canada a few times. Sometimes Neko went with her, sometimes he didn't. Once, she had to go to the UK for about 9 months. Neko stayed in Canada with my daughter's boyfriend (who is now her husband) and then Neko later joined her. He was fine during the 9 months she was away.

From my daughter's experience, it seems very difficult to find apartments/flats in the UK that will accept cats...at least much more difficult than in Ontario. She and her husband ended up renting houses because they were unable to find pet-friendly apartments.

In any event, it sounds like it will be easier all around if Aggie can stay with your family. Is that possible?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Hi Susan,
Thanks for your reply. I don't know for certain how long I will be there for.. It will be a few years at least. From what I've heard it is difficult to get flats that allow cats, or pets in general. Also there are a lot of requirements for me, as I'm coming from SE Asia, bringing pets into the UK. What do you mean by, 'sometimes Neko went with her, sometimes he didn't'? Is it quite easy for you to transport pets back and forth?

Yes, she can stay with my family, but I am not too sure if they will play with her or be as meticulous as I am hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
What do you mean by, 'sometimes Neko went with her, sometimes he didn't'? Is it quite easy for you to transport pets back and forth?
My daughter (Chauncey) first moved to the UK about 10 years ago to work. She adopted Neko in the UK. Chauncey moved back to Canada a while later, and she brought Neko with her. Bringing Neko back to Canada was simple. She just had to prove (letter from vet) that he was up to date on all his shots. He travelled on the same plane as her in pet cargo (pets aren't allowed in the cabin on international flights, at least not on Air Canada). But he travelled well and didn't seem upset by the experience.

Then Chauncey decided to go back to school and she enrolled in Oxford to do her Master's. When she moved back that time, she couldn't take Neko with her, since moving to the UK was more difficult than moving to Canada. When going back to the UK, Neko had to have special shots and he was required to have these shots at least 6 months before he entered the UK. Chauncey hadn't known about the six-month waiting period (she assumed the rules to go to the UK would be the same as the rules to come to Canada). So, she had to leave Neko behind with her then boyfriend/now husband (Laird). Laird and Neko joined her about 8 months later. Again, Neko travelled in pet cargo and didn't seem bothered by it. However, Neko is a very laid-back, easy going fellow (Neko is the cat in my avatar).

Chauncey is still in Oxford, completing her PhD (I'm a proud Mom ). She and Laird have been back and forth for short stays, but they leave Neko in the UK. If they ever come back permanently or for more than a few months, they will bring Neko with them.

As for how difficult it would be to travel with a cat from SE Asia, you'll need to check into the rules, since the rules differ from country to country (and they differ depending on whether you're coming or going!). I think the more difficult aspect is finding accommodation in the UK if you have a pet...although perhaps some of our UK members will have tips on that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks for clarifying Susan. It's really good that Neko didn't get affected by the flying back and forth. I have heard that it is a little more difficult to get pets into the UK, and according to our vet, to do the blood tests etc. they need to send samples off to Australia because we don't have a certified testing clinic here. Hence the cost and the time it will take to complete everything.

Hope to hear from some UK members what you think too
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Kitten

Hi Evince,

That must be so hard for you! I'd never want to make that choice, my cat is almost 10 years old and I've vowed not to move until he's no longer with me. I couldn't bare to be apart from my baby. But at least if your family agrees to look after him you know that when ever you visit home you can see your cat.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Cat Addict

Hi - I'm from the UK.

Not sure how helpful I am but the first thing you would need to check out is the quarantine situation. The rules have relaxed a lot in recent times but they still have to be followed to the letter.

How hard you will find it to get a flat or house depends a lot on the area. Most landlords would want a kind of indemnity agreement. There is an organisation that I think is a charity that helps find pet friendly accommodation and encourages landlords to be supportive.

You will probably find it easier to get unfurnished accommodation that fully furnished.
r
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Hi Rosellie and Arianwen, thanks for your replies.

I guess what I'm weighing up now is, whether it's worth it for me to go through taking her miles away just to be there for a short while? I don't want to put her through unnecessary stress... I can't tell at this point in time how long I'll be going away and that's the trouble.

Rosellie - yes it is very hard, my heart breaks at the thought of leaving her but I have to think of what's best for her rather than just me. It would be selfish otherwise, I think. Yes, very glad my family agrees to look after her I think she would be very spoilt with her grandparents heheh

Arianwen - Ahh ok, I will have a look at unfurnished accommodation. But I guess there's the hassle of having to furnish it haha, I need to move in rather quickly after my visa gets approved. I will try to look for that organization, do you know roughly it's name please? I will be going to good ole Scotland!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Really freaking out, I don't know what to do, I get teary just thinking about the thought of leaving Aggie behind... It's so hard...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page