Litter question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Litter question

World's Best Cat Litter vs. Arm & Hammer Essentials?

Hi, all. I've been using World's Best since my cats were little, but I'm starting to suspect they dislike the texture, which is sharp and grainy and tracks like the dickens. One cat won't cover at all, and the other usually just scratches around the sides of the box, floor, walls, etc. The clumps break easily when I scoop. I also notice that unless they dig down in a fresh box, the urine kind of pools near their paws which must be annoying.

Can anyone recommend a NATURAL litter that clumps well and is softer and/or more absorbent than WBCL? I've been looking into Arm & Hammer, the kind made with corn fibers. I like that it's a renewable resource and biodegradable. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Tom Cat

I have been using arm and hammer essential corn litter, it is great and clumps very well but I have fully switched to non clumping pine pellets now. While its non clumping the urine is fully absorbed and turns to saw dust which is easily siftable...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks, Burt! How is A&H with the scent factor? Been reading reviews that mention the fragrance is pretty potent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Tom Cat

Im a bit allergic to perfumes but I was very tolerant to the arm and hammer fragrance, it did not bother me...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I finally found some in store since I don't talk to strange products online.

I got a whiff of the Arm & Hammer fragrance through the ventilation holes in the package and decided to pass. It is kind of a "cool" scent, not like most perfumes, but I don't think my cats and I will want to live with it long term.

I found something very interesting instead, which was a sawdust-style clumping pine litter from Companion, a lesser pet brand. $4.99 for a standard sized bag. It has no fragrance except the natural scent of the pine. I mixed it in about 30/60 with the World's Best Cat Litter, and it seems to work well. My cats are a little weirded out by the new scent, but they are still using the box. So far I'm seeing better clumps and more coverage than with just WBCL. It is very soft and light to carry, but so far I haven't seen much tracking.

This is a new product I've never heard of before, so I'll let you know how it goes after the transition. It's available at my local Giant.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Tom Cat

I have been using Swheat scoop litter. It absorbs well, clumps and does not have a strong scent. I use it with the litter lifter scoop
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Premier Cat

I've heard the 'light' litter doesn't nuetralize odors very well...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
I've heard the 'light' litter doesn't nuetralize odors very well...
Light as in texture or light as in color? Swheat Scoop is both light in texture and color. I have 1 cat and 1 kitten using 2 litter boxes. I never smell anything unless one of them poops and doesn't cover it well. No one who visits ever mentions any smell from my litter boxes. I do clean them out at least twice a day
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So far I haven't had any issues with the new litter. As to odor, I haven't noticed a difference. I scoop daily as usual. It still clumps way better than WBCL and the cats seem more comfortable with it on their paws. They have been a lot better about covering and not tracking it everywhere. I still haven't transitioned completely off the WBCL.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well, after gradually upping the ratios to almost all "clumping pine" litter, I have to report the experiment was a fail. The clumps break up into little particles when disturbed. I added back some more World's Best Cat Litter until it's back around a 50-50 ratio. It seems to work ideally that way, and the added pine still makes the mixture softer on their paws. I think I'll just be buying both and mixing them from now on. A shame, because the pine was really superior in all other ways except the clumping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page