Litter boxes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Litter boxes

Hey ,

I seen some posts on DIY litter box covers made so they aren't so visible to the eye but also functional so dogs and etc can't get at ... Do any of you have any covers for litter boxes to share ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 AM
Cat Addict

I had a regular covered litter box and my dogs had no problem sticking their heads in to get a "treat." Now, I leave the boxes uncovered and have a pet fence around them. Amelia can get in but the dogs cannot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGLCc725 View Post
I seen some posts on DIY litter box covers made so they aren't so visible to the eye but also functional
Not sure what you mean...do you mean transparent plastic covers? A lid can help prevent dogs from going in, but it would also depend on the size of your dog, and whether the box is side entry or top, etc. Btw, if you get an older cat, forget the top entry boxes--it's often painful for them to get in/out of. And considering you want a larger breed (Ragdoll), you'll need to consider getting a very large litter box so there's plenty of room for the kitty to maneuver and dig, etc.

I don't have dogs, but I'd probably go with a baby gate idea if I had the space and dedicate one room to being off limits for the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

No diy furniture to conceal the litter box to the open eye

Last edited by JAGLCc725; 08-05-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Premier Cat

OH! My bad, lol. I understand now.

Initially, I wanted those too, but then I decided to forgo the whole thing because, well...I'm rather lazy, I don't want an additional thing or two to clean up with those litter boxes...if I can't see them, I'll also be less inclined to scoop and clean, much less if it requires me to open up the hutch or keep heavy lid open while I take the box out, etc, if it's a bench, for example. But some of these DIY projects are cleverly done, I must admit.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

In addition to previous suggestions, you could get or make room dividers to hide the boxes from view, either with just enough space that the cat can get through, or with some sort of elevated access, like a tree on either side of the divider, or cat shelves making stairs up and down.

The problem with hooded/covered boxes is that they trap the smell (this assumes only one cat; with multiple, covered boxes give a place to territoriality defend), which cats are super-sensitive to, and it can put them off the box if maintenance isn't properly kept up. As TabbCat noted, it's much easier to put off maintenance if you don't see or smell them.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, although I, too, thought about doing it. I eventually decided on storage totes with access cut into one side (prevent litter and high-peeing spillage). Cheap, effective, and easy enough to tuck throughout the house in semi-concealed locations; I have 6, and only two are visible without looking for them. I have spaces that are more hidden, but I like keeping 2 boxes per floor.

If I still had dogs, and they needed to be kept out of cat boxes, I would just train them to leave it alone, honestly. It's much easier than not training them and trying to find a solution that works for everyone, especially with multiple boxes. That's just me, of course, and I'm devilishly lazy about long-term effort (separating dog from box) when short-term effort (training) would work better. YMMV ^_^
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Kitten

Although I don't have any pics, I've seen some pretty nice ones on Etsy.com - search Cat litter box furniture. Very nice, and practical. I hope you get some good ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page