cat scratch - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

cat scratch

hey,

my cat accidently scratched my arm with her hind leg back in July. Unfortunately the scratch scars are still visible, but for some reason really sore and tender at this current moment.

Nothing has swelled up, or looks infected. Anyone think i have anything to warrant going to the doctor about?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

If it's not red, maybe you just bruised yourself in the same location. I would think it would either be red or swollen or something if it was infected, especially at this late date.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Banned

Sore and tender, but not red, inflamed, or oozing, is usually just irritation.. at least for my piercings and injection sites (long term pain management). Scars, when healing, often go through many cycles of being painful, and that can last years; as long as the scar is still visible. This happens because your body is trying to make better repairs -scar tissue is intended to be temporary; just something to fill the wound so it doesn't get infected, until such time as proper repairs can be made. That means increased blood flow, which always makes things more sensitive, killing off of cells no longer needed, some of which may have nerve endings, and of course the normal healing process, which is never comfortable :p

If you get scratched again, cleaning with H2O2 is always a good idea. If the cut starts getting infected (red, excessively painful, swollen, and/or oozing), and you catch it when it's just starting, a mix of H2O2, isopropyl alcohol, sea salt, and antibacterial soap applied as a warm soak does wonders. Hydrogen peroxide ruptures cells, kills basically everything, and dries out the wound to help stop oozing; rubbing alcohol and antibacterial soap also help kill things in the wound; sea salt dries the tissue and any remaining bacteria, plus deposits minerals useful for healing.

I've been using this mix for years (a concoction I hit upon because I bite my cuticles until they are red, bloody, and swollen), and it works like a charm. It may also help with the discomfort of irritation, even if there's no infection, by drying out the tissue. Probably won't help with scar pain, but a warm compress might.

Edit- you might also want to try putting coconut oil on the scar, as this can help with cell repair and cut down on any itching the healing might cause.

Last edited by Monkeybuttorama; 08-19-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Kitten

It doesn't sound like an infection, and people do heal in different ways. If you really are worried, maybe visiting a doctor will put your mind at ease. There have been rare cases of people getting "cat scratch" disease, which may become serious if left untreated.

Always disinfect a wound from any animal bite or scratch. I hope all goes well!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Cat Addict

Comfrey stinks but is good on scars. This long afterwards, I wouldn't I don't think it is an infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page