Litter mat to reduce litter scatter? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Tom Cat

I have this one

and I did see a difference from not using a mat to now using it. I bought a very large mat size. The box is against the wall, and the mat is under the box, and then the mat extends out pretty far accross the front of the litter box. It catches a lot of litter in the small holes. I can lift the mat and shake the litter back into the box. When I wasn't using the mat the litter was tracked down the hallway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:41 AM
Cat

I just use a kitchen mat under the box. It holds the litter and if there's an accident the rubber backing will protect the floor.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormydown View Post
I currently have a sizable sisal litter mat underneath my cat's litter box, but it doesn't trap litter very well. Do any of you have mats that you really love?
Have a shag rug bathmat that does a great job. I place the long way at the entrance to the domed litter box with the edge under the ramp area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBS-203-W-2T.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	94170  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlapinta View Post
I have this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage and I did see a difference from not using a mat to now using it. I bought a very large mat size. The box is against the wall, and the mat is under the box, and then the mat extends out pretty far accross the front of the litter box. It catches a lot of litter in the small holes. I can lift the mat and shake the litter back into the box. When I wasn't using the mat the litter was tracked down the hallway.
ingenious! that looks like a great mat to catch the litter. I didn't think to search for cat litter mat on Amazon when I was looking for a rubber mat to catch the pee actually for when my cat pees over the side of the box (I think because her arthritis acts up occasionally and makes it uncomfortable to squat). tried pee pads and finally silicone pads and found one that worked good for liquid. the plush rugs seem like a good idea too for dry litter. I imagine that's easy to vacuum and shake outside every once in a while to get the fine dust out, too. I'd be afraid to put it in the washer, though, because I use clumping litter and I'd be worried the fine dust would gum up the washer or ruin it somehow.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Tom Cat

I tried a couple tricks, one the fluffy bath mat, and two, turning the litter boxes so the entrance is toward the wall. We have one covered box and one with high sides with a lower entrance. I don't think the results are impressive. I noticed litter on top of the covered box and it's still on the laundry room floor, maybe not quite as much. I do think it's not making it's way into the kitchen as much so that's a plus.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Cat Addict

I use what's described as a "ribbed entrance mat" on the shopping sites, like the kind designed to be a door mat right at the entrance to a home for wiping snow off your shoes, similar to this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Premier Cat

Hmmm, I should take notes here...my cats constantly scatter litter all over my small apartment. I find it everywhere, all the way to the opposite corner of my home! And mind you, my place is mostly carpet flooring throughout! Of course I have a gigantic mat (similar to NE Cat's suggestion) by their box since one of them happens to be in the hallway by the entrance, but it gets everywhere eventually unless I constantly vacuum, but it's still an ongoing battle. I may pick up another type of mat like vlapinta uses, but I'm iffy on the rubber...G used to chew on my crocs sandals, so I could never keep it indoors.

There was another type of mat I also purchased early on that looked very similar to this type and seemed promising:

However, I found one of my kitties starting to bite pieces of the corners off and so I had to throw it out. Sigh. Yeah, my kitties and pica...
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Kitten

I found a mat at Dollar General that I really like. It was one of those "I just got a cat and am totally not prepared, buy everything in the store until I can figure out what I need" purchases. It is ribbed and boasted being "easy-clean". It doesn't get everything, BUT it catches a bunch. I am surprised at how much litter I poured out everyday back into the box. This was non-clumping Arm & Hammer litter. (hated it, might be allergic to clay litters in general tho... all I know is I can't breath.)
I will be interested to see if this mat will work for Tidy Cat's pure natural pine, cedar & corn litter.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Jr. Cat

I've been trying out different mats and nothing is perfect... I am trimming Mochi's paws every few days because some litter happens to get caught between those long hair of hers and they transfer all over the house!

It's only been 2 months or so since I first became Mochi's human, and the litter issue is driving me nuts! I don't want to vacuum day and night anymore! I ended up getting an iRobot instead - this is simply me waving to white flag.

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 12:48 AM
Tom Cat

My entrances towards the wall and the fluffy bath mat seem to be working fairly well. The bath mat traps a fair amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page