Litter mat to reduce litter scatter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Litter mat to reduce litter scatter?

I currently have a sizable sisal litter mat underneath my cat's litter box, but it doesn't trap litter very well. Do any of you have mats that you really love?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Premier Cat

I have my floor. Nothing really works well, so lots of sweeping!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

I have a couple of plush bath mats outside the litter box opening, plus a small obstacle course. They have to stop and make a sharp turn to the right when they leave the box (so they can't just run out), then jump over another obstacle, which gets a little more litter off their paws. Every little bit helps.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Premier Cat

I find a bath mat works well as it takes off quite a bit of litter off their feet, and I can shake off any litter into the litter box, and then it's easy to launder the mat about every 3 weeks or so to keep the pile fluffier.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Cool Cat

I found a bath mat worked well. But Neko started peeing on it so no more mats for us
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Senior Cat

I got a plastic (Van ness) litter mat but since I have an open litterbox, don't find it works great because Aggie usually will just bypass it. Would probably suggest using one if you have a closed litterbox, or getting a mat bigger than the box?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I have a couple of plush bath mats outside the litter box opening, plus a small obstacle course. They have to stop and make a sharp turn to the right when they leave the box (so they can't just run out), then jump over another obstacle, which gets a little more litter off their paws. Every little bit helps.
That's so clever! My apartment right now is a little too small for something like that, but when I do I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
I got a plastic (Van ness) litter mat but since I have an open litterbox, don't find it works great because Aggie usually will just bypass it. Would probably suggest using one if you have a closed litterbox, or getting a mat bigger than the box?
I do have a closed litterbox, and the mat spans most of the floor under/in front of it -- a lot of litter does end up on the mat, but it just gets scattered anyway. So I was thinking maybe some other kind of material that will get the litter to stick to it/fall in it, if it's grooved/etc.

Thanks, all!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:22 PM
Kitten

Litter mats don't really work very well. Best thing really is a rechargeable dust buster close to the litter area. Just suck it up every other day!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:28 PM
Premier Cat

I face the litterboxes to the wall. With just enough room for a cat to step out. The way they are tucked into their spots the cat has to walk around the box to make a break for it. That really helped with the litter spread. The only time I have an issue now is when Neelix EXPLODES over the side of the box... that still causes a little rainshower of litter.

I do have a rechargable Black and Decker hand vac. Every few days I sweep up any litter and buzz it up. Since I empty it after each use (so no random fuzzies from somewhere else) I just empty the litter back into the box.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Senior Cat

I have this for our litter box Ribbed Cat Litter Mat - Cleaning Supplies and Tools - Storage and Cleanup - Starcrest

The litter gets trapped in there and I just pick it up and shake it off and the sweep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page