Securing a soft cat carrier in car? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Securing a soft cat carrier in car?

Hi, all! There was a thread about soft carriers a while ago that I tried to add onto, but it was closed.

My question is about securing soft carriers in the car. Namely... do you feel like your cat is safe in a soft carrier in the car? I've had my cat for several months and have been carting her to the groomer in a hard carrier (my adoption agency required that the cat go home in a hard carrier, so it's the only one I have), and I'd like to invest in something soft so it's easier to carry, but I want to make sure I get something that I'll feel good about taking my cat around in.

When I take my cat in the car, I stick the hard carrier sideways on the back seat on the passenger side and then lean the passenger seat back as far as it can until it's leaning against the top of the carrier. That sort of secures the carrier in place and makes me feel like hitting an unexpected hard bump won't send the carrier flying, but the carrier I have offers no way to secure it to the seat with a seat belt, which I'd like to do (it's too wide for the seat belt to go over or through the handle on the top and also sits on top of the buckle that the belt would click into).

I can't help but think that a hard carrier is safer just because it's sturdier, but I know there are lots of really well-made soft carriers too, and that many of them provide ways for a seat belt to help secure it. I've never actually used a soft carrier so I don't even know how "sturdy" a well-made one is compared to a hard carrier, or whether or not it even makes a difference in the car. My cat is an angel when she goes in the carrier (compared to when she's at home, haha) so I'm not concerned about her ripping up a soft carrier or anything.

So what are your thoughts on this? It seems like I might be overthinking it, since tons of people take their pets around in soft carriers without a problem. I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice for my cat and not a selfish one because I hate lugging her around in the hard carrier. She's 10 pounds, so she's not SUPER heavy, but if I need to park a number of blocks away from the groomer, carrying her can be a chore.

Last edited by stormydown; 09-15-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Cat

I use the SleepyPod Air for all travel needs. It actually has little straps in the pockets that hold the seatbelt in place as a pre-crash positioner and it's nicely padded. I trust it for travel purposes and it's perfect for air travel, as well. I've handled other soft carriers that I considered too flimsy to be safe in a car, but I feel that this one would restrain the momentum of the cat very well. They actually have crash test video on their website and I will also be upgrading the dog's car harness to their Clickit harness due to its crash test videos.

Some of the bergen, for example soft sided carriers, I honestly feel are too flimsy to remain restrained in a crash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page