? of when getting another cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

? of when getting another cat

I lost my beloved Geets in August. I 'm considering volunterring til i save up the money to get a cat. This is the second time in my whole life i never had a cat. I spoil my neighbor's cat GG. She just loves me.

I want a cat that is at least a year to see his/her personality. I want a love bug. I want a cat that's loves to be held and kissed and let's me dress him/her for halloween and christmas. I want one that greets me at the door. I guess i'm saying i want one that is perfect for me but i know that is not reality. I feel alone without a cat.

What bugs me is that people say i shouldn't get a cat if i can't afford one. If that was the case many cats would never have a home. I was lucky with Razzle and Geets that they didn't have many problems until they got kidney disease. I just can't imagine my life without a cat. It's so hard to come home and not have a cat greet me at the door.

I've always gotten black cats. I don't know why but i'm drawn to them since i was a teenager. Everyone wants me to take their cat if they die because they see how i pay attention to cats. I guess because i pay attention to them-playing, kissing, holding.

This will probably be my last cat since i'm almost 60. I live alone so a cat is a must

I miss my Geets and Razzle. I wish they would come back to me as kittens. I had a dream that i woke up to something rubbing against me. I just knew it was Geets. I rubbed his body and felt a purr

Kathy

Razzle and Geets-they left paw prints on my heart. Love you, love you always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

You shouldn't get a cat if you are aware of things that can come up, medical expenses, emergencies, etc., and can't afford it.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 10-09-2015 at 09:36 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

Saving up is a good idea before adopting. I understand that maybe it's better a cat has a home than sit in a cage but why on earth would anyone want to bring an animal into a home where they can't afford their care?

IMO way too many of the people who preach about "better they have a home" are just looking for an excuse to bring home an animal they can't afford. Then they are devastated when the inevitable happens and they are forced put down a sick pet because they can't afford it's care.

The solution is simple, saving up for emergencies before adoption... but I guess way too many people are all about the instant gratification and wanting their new pet NOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Cat Addict

Look into fostering. If a person is unable to afford a cat but is known to be an excellent cat care giver, our shelter will partner with them to foster a cat - either new motherless kittens, pregnant mama or mom with new kittens, a senior kitizen, a cat with known health condition that requires extra time or attention, or even a cat who won't get along with the other cats at the shelter but would be fine in a single cat home. Our shelter covers vet bills and sometimes if the financial need is there, food and litter also.

Or... volunteer at a shelter where you can get some quality cat time.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Tom Cat

I second the fostering idea. Many animal rescue groups use foster homes rather than have a physical shelter. Any vet bills that come up are dealt with by the rescue group.
Of course, the drawback is that you will have to say goodbye if someone adopts the cat, but as adult cats are slower to find homes than kittens (especially black ones) that might not be for a few years.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:55 AM
Premier Cat

What about becoming a pet sitter? Get references from GG's owner and the like, etc. It would provide actual additional income for you, but may require a bit of traveling to other people's homes. Just an idea anyway...

From my standpoint, I wouldn't risk adopting ANY pet if I didn't have enough finances to spare because it would simply be MY luck where something goes awry and I'll be stuck in a very bad situation, which would kill me MORE if it only shortens the life of a beloved feline! I think I'd just stick to giving lovings to my friend's kitty if I missed having my own cat, though.

Fostering could work, but from what I gather, it seems foster catmoms and catdads are shelling out their own $$$ too, since foster parents are always in short supply and some cat shelters simply don't have the capacity to supply enough items at times. Perhaps it's just in my area only, though? I have no real foster experience, but it doesn't hurt to find out for yourself what fostering really entails.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Jr. Cat

Don't get one if you can't afford. You never know what expenses you might incur in future. I know it look like you are giving the cat a home, but you might also be giving him/her a not so comfortable home. As Tabbcatt has suggested, try pet sitting and see if it works for you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Tom Cat

This is tough one, and there's no right or wrong answer that applies to all cases. My take on this subject is as follows. I absolutely would not bring another cat home if I wasn't 100% sure I could cover the most potentially expensive complication without detriment to the quality of care I provide for my clowder as a whole. That is to say, the means I have currently enable me to provide what I deem a quality life (good quality food, litter, and essentials) for my cats and I am not willing to potentially compromise this ability by adding another.

That being said, I'm trying to envision myself in your (OP's) situation, and I don't think visiting the neighbor cat, pet-sitting, or even fostering would satisfy my want of feline love, although these would certainly help. It is clear to me that you are looking for something more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzle View Post
I want a cat that is at least a year to see his/her personality. I want a love bug. I want a cat that's loves to be held and kissed and let's me dress him/her for halloween and christmas. I want one that greets me at the door. I guess i'm saying i want one that is perfect for me but i know that is not reality. I feel alone without a cat.
OP wants to come home to a cat. I completely understand feeling this way. On horrible days, sometimes the thought of seeing my fluffs after it all is one of the most soothing. Their companionship has been a huge net good in my life, as I generally don't do so hot with extended solitude.

So, my advice would be twofold. I would start saving. Set aside a little extra each month or week, and make a habit of it. Every little bit helps. Make it the 'Cat Fund' for emergencies. OP, you cared for two kitties for years, so I assume the day to day expenses aren't the problem here, but rather, the potential expense of emergency care. You might have to pinch pennies, but it will be worth it knowing you can take care of your future kitty. Nothing would be worse than seeing him or her in pain and not being able to help. Second, I would definitely start volunteering a shelter, maybe two to get a feel for them. Put in some good hours, get to know the staff. Everyone at my shelter is wonderful, and super friendly! Explain to them your situation. They may be willing to provide for some of the potential emergency expense given that you are a low income senior living alone. I think this is quite reasonable. To this end, they may be willing to assign you a cat to care for as a long term foster home, if they won't acquiesce to adoption given your financial situation.

I really hope this helps and that you figure something out soon I know how awful it can be to feel lonely, it's not fun.

Last edited by TranquilityBlue; 10-12-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page