Cleaning Litter Box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cleaning Litter Box

Hi!

We have 3 cats. In the summer, I dump the litter box into the trash bag in the garage, rinse out with vinegar, and hose out outside.

Now the cold weather is upon us, I'm at a loss at how to clean the bottom of the box since I can no longer rinse it.

I've tried liners, but don't think our girls like them. Don't use that box.

We have doxies, so do not think clumping varieties would be for us.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Cat

We do deep-cleans (replacing the litter + scrubbing out the box) twice a month. My process is basically:

1) Empty the old litter in a trash bag
2) Put the litter box in the bathtub and rinse it well with hot water
3) Scrub with diluted bleach-water, then rinse again
4) Put the box back and refill with fresh litter

Sometimes, if we're out of bleach, I use white vinegar instead. And I only use bleach in very small amounts, around a 1:20 ratio or so.

As for your situation, is there any way you could try to move the box(es?) somewhere that the dogs couldn't get to them? Clumping litter would make the whole multi-cat household thing a whole lot easier to manage.

Otherwise, rinsing them out in the tub is the only other thing I can think of.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you! It is the residual litter, stuck to the bottom of the box that I'm concerned about not putting into the plumbing system.

I realize you said "diluted bleach water" but be aware that bleach and ammonia produce a deadly gas. 1:20 is a great ratio to kill germs. That is what we use around here to kill germs.

We live basically in 3 rooms. Whatever the cats can squeeze through, the doxies, can too, and I'd rather not have it at waist level.

Cute kitties! Your middle, black kitty, reminds me of ours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Cat

I use the litter scoop to scrape all the remaining litter out and then wash in the bathtub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Tom Cat

I have a scrub brush that only gets used on the cat boxes. I wipe out the remainder of the litter with a wad of paper towel, then wash it in the downstairs shower with hot water and detergent. Sometimes I use hydrogen peroxide to kill germs before drying and refilling it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:07 PM
Cat

I know how that is. We clean our boxes regularly, but during the first week after we first got the kittens, all of our cats seemed to pee in one spot, leaving giant clumps of litter caked to the edges. I quickly remedied the situation once I was aware of it, but boy, was that a lot of scraping..

And no worries - I'm a bit paranoid about it myself, so I have a dedicated measuring cup that I use just for my bleach. I could probably go by eye at this point, but in my opinion, you can never be too careful..

The woes of having such small animals! lol. I'm lucky my dog is a big ol' German Shepherd, so all I need is a gate to keep her away from the litter box. I don't know what I'd do if I had to stop using my beloved clumping litter.

Thank you. I'm sure I speak for the entire forum when I say we'd all love to see pictures of your kitties sometime!

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy

Last edited by marie73; 01-02-2016 at 05:11 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Premier Cat

Scraping with the scoop should get up most of the stuck stuff. Then you can use some wet paper towels to get up most of the remaining stuff before washing it out. I wash mine out in the tub with some mild dish detergent. I'm too scared to use bleach (not so much because it can be dangerous to the health as because it can be dangerous to my skin and clothes ), so my litterboxes are probably germy, but they're clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page