Litter box odor (what litter box odor?) - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Tom Cat

If your neighbour is claiming that the smell is giving her an asthma attack, she's full of it. People get asthma attacks from proteins, or pollens, or chemicals, or spores. Not from odours. I have asthma and I've never had an attack from even the worst odours, not even bad outhouses on camping trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Mm. This is good to know. Meantime, I haven't had any further problems with her. Y'know, she SMOKES. Could THAT be a contributing factor?! Anyway, I'm inviting my LL over when he gets home from a trip.

Last edited by marie73; 03-07-2016 at 01:36 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Premier Cat

This woman has asthma and she smokes! Good grief. She needs her head examined. It sounds like you live next door to a drama queen. I agree with Naliajuk, no way would smelling a litter box in the next apartment trigger an asthma attack. If you were using very, very dusty litter AND your next door neighbor scooped and cleaned your litter boxes, that might trigger an asthma attack...but not simply a bit of odor (and any odor worth discussing likely doesn't even exist in your case).

My daughter has asthma. She most definitely does not smoke. Indeed, she can't be with 20 feet of someone who is smoking. However, my daughter has a cat. That has never caused any issues with her asthma (even though she does the scooping!).

Hopefully, your neighbor won't give you any further trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
Mm. This is good to know. Meantime, I haven't had any further problems with her. Y'know, she SMOKES. Could THAT be a contributing factor?! Anyway, I'm inviting my LL over when he gets home from a trip.
She smokes? Well no, of COURSE that can't possibly be the reason! ..(sarcasm)
Smoke of any kind used to set off my asthma. That (and bad outhouses) is why I don't camp any more.

Last edited by Nuliajuk; 03-07-2016 at 03:43 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Cat

Well now we know she's full of it... since smoking has been identified as causing loss of smell, I seriously doubt her sense of smell is good enough to identify a litter box from a different apartment!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

One night it got below 0. There she was, outside, smoking. In shorts and a t-shirt.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM
Tom Cat

I wonder if she was smelling ammonia and was assuming it was coming from your place because you just happen to have a cat?
This reminds me that years ago, when I was pretty serious about distance running, I'd sometimes have the smell of ammonia in my nostrils after a very long or hard run that only I could smell.
It was explained to me that it was from the breakdown of ketones into acetate within the muscles, being exhaled through the lungs/nostrils. It's not too uncommon for people who do hard training (although not the best thing, a sign they're depleted in water, electrolytes and carbohydrates). In a sedentary smoker like your neighbour, it can likely be a sign of health problems. Not your problem, anyway. It's good you have her off your back.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Kitten

Agreeing with all of the previous posts here!

I recently stumbled upon "Littermint, Cat Box Deodorizer" in the catosphere. I haven't used it myself but it may be worth looking into.

Last edited by marie73; 03-09-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: removed link; blogs aren't allowed
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

At 3 oz. for $10.95 (and you're supposed to use 1/4 cup), it better freshen MY bathroom, too. And my neighbor's.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Tom Cat

How do you use the pine litter? My friend used it but I could never figure out how to scoop it. The little pellets turn into sawdust which I can't scoop. I'd love to try something different in my cat's boxes. The cat smell isn't particularly bothersome but the dust is really irritating. I recently tried "Tidy Cats with Glade 4 in 1" and the perfume odor is overwhelming; I'm surprised the cats use it at all.

Freyja has used the walnut pellets in the past but randomly stopped one day so I switched her back to the tidy cats. Emily has been in a shelter using donated litter (constantly changing) so she's pretty easy to switch. I would put a lid on to decrease the perfume smell but I worry they won't use the box then. They already insist on only 1 box which they share (2 others sitting around barely used)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page