Litter box odor (what litter box odor?) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Litter box odor (what litter box odor?)

For the past several months, my neighbor has claimed she can smell a litterbox odor coming from my apartment. Sooo...along with diligent scooping, I've stopped using any other type of litter but pine, which is the best,imo, for nuetralizing odors. I've also sprayed near his box, all around the apartment, and in the HALLWAY with cleaning vinegar and/or febreeze. she still claims she can smell Robin's box. She told me she has a better sense of smell than most people. She also has asthma,and claimed the litterbox odor caused an attack. I almost got evicted, but I was like 'I'll make sure there's no odor at all, Misterlandlordsir.' For a few weeks I had no problems, now she's complaining again. Is it possible, that, working at a cat shelter, I've gone noseblind to certain smells?

Last edited by bluemilk; 03-04-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Cool Cat

I would think that your trip home would eliminate that. You'd notice at once when you walked into your own house. I'd be inclined to invite the landlord over. I'd also wonder what else she might be smelling that she thinks is litterbox. Or is it your clothing from the shelter?

I agree about pine litter, it checked the odor at once. But here I read that the type of food makes a big difference too.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, I would invite the landlord over for a sniff. Tell him he is authorized to come and even do a surprise inspection any time he wants. Maybe it's not your apartment but the apartment under, over or on the other side?? I agree, pine is the best. We have 26 cats in one cat room at the shelter and there is NO smell unless we get an unneutered male in. None, nada, zip, zero smell. Customers often exclaim that they are amazed that there is no smell.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

I would think your landlord would be more concerned about the noise
your neighbor is making just walking in her apartment.

Quote:
The undisputed king of animal sniffers is the African elephant.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:20 AM
Cat Addict

I agree....invite the landlord over for a sniff test.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I would think your landlord would be more concerned about the noise
your neighbor is making just walking in her apartment.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Premier Cat

Ooh, I hope you get it resolved! Me? I think I'd invite a third party (like a few friends) over to your apartment first for an honest opinion from each (so they won't feel pressured to lie if it faintly smelled) before I went to the landlord for the sniff test.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Cool Cat

That's really odd. I never smell a "litter box odor" unless I am sitting at, scooping my litter boxes. Same with at my parent's house, I never notice there's even a litterbox unless I'm literally sniffing it. And that's coming from a person who has a SUPER strong sense of smell--which is a curse, not a gift! Lol my landlords are not pet people and have never own cats. They made an exception for us to live here. Even then, they were amazed because our apartment smells fantastic and they smell absolutely no odor, even when they walk by the litter boxes.

Now the odor that IS strong is when a cat has urinated in the house and permeated the flooring--I can smell that sort of odor before even walking into a house. The smell is nauseating and incredibly strong.

Unless Robin has been peeing around the house I couldn't see your neighbor actually smelling the litter box through a wall.

I agree with TabbCatt--I'd ask a friend's opinion before getting the landlord involved.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Cat

Definitely get a second opinion from a friend/guest. I know that when Puddle was having his... um... litter box issues (ie., he decided his new litter box was the second floor landing) I would treat the area and not be able to smell anything... but guests to my home would be able to smell it, because they weren't used to it.

I know that in some older apartments (and even some newer ones!) the air ducts can be conduits for scent travel, so you might want to make sure your litter box isn't right next to a duct/furnace/air return/etc.

If it does turn out that there's a smell, try a small air filter. I have a small Holmes filter for my current apartment that is parked right in between the litter boxes, and I run it on its lowest setting almost 24/7. It does an awesome job sucking in bad smells and dust, too!

In all likeliness... your neighbor is smelling something else (probably something from her own apartment ) or, it's all in her head!

Last edited by skyrun; 03-05-2016 at 11:51 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:33 AM
Cat

Your neighbor can smell the litter box? That does seem strange. If you are scooping daily (or changing regularly) there should be no lingering smell.

I like the idea of asking other people if they can smell it in your apartment. If they can't, that neighbor is FOS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page