Outside on a leash - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Do you take your cat outside or on walks on a leash?
Yes 5 38.46%
Nope 5 38.46%
Sometimes 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Outside on a leash

Anyone take their cat outside on a leash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Absolutely. I wouldn´t let them loose for anything in the world. My youngest female walks like a dog in the leash The older one isn´t to fond of going out at all. She likes to lay in the sun outside the door but that´s as far as she goes. She doesn´t run away so I can have her loose outside, but I keep her in a leash anyway. It feels safer that way.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 02:54 PM

I don't let my kitten outside at all because I'm afraid once she gets used to going outside, she'll always try to bolt out the door every chance she gets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 05:14 PM

I take Sampson out on a lead but don't do it often because now that he's gone outside, he tries to sneak out. I took the advice of someone who said when you bring them out don't let them walk out the door. Instead walk them down the front steps and this should keep him from wanting to run out. Well you know what? They were WRONG! LOL
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBeautiful
I don't let my kitten outside at all because I'm afraid once she gets used to going outside, she'll always try to bolt out the door every chance she gets.
I never do either, for the same reason. She was always trying to bolt out the door as a kitten, until once she did get out when it was cold and raining. Never tried again!
I have never wanted to let her out for any reason since, for fear she would like it and start trying to got out every time we open the door. It is so nice when she is content to stay in the house.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:09 PM

I also let him nose around out front but keep him on an "H" style harness with a leash. I feel a little better about catching him if he bolts. "Ol' 17 years" also goes to the park for some real woods exploring. It's also nice to run alongside him at speed in a big field. But when I try to walk him like a dog, he walks like he has a load in his pants :O !

W.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 12:50 AM

I'm in a mountain town, and have lost a lot of cats to coyotes, so I gave up on the "just let them roam" theory and only have indoor kitties, who go outside on a lead I have it set up like you would for a dog, with alittle screw in thing in the center of the yard, with the leed attached to his harness, My dear Giz doesn't know that he can go further then I let him and never tries, the kitten on the other hand, I am still arguing with, he tends to dart out the door still, but then I've only had the baby for two months, and Giz is 4 years old You can train them not to dart out, it just takes time,
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 11:13 AM

Before I started putting a leash and harness on Charlie, she was a killer. She'd bring home birds, rabbits, squirrels, and anything else you can think of. Now she's so much better. She's really good with putting it on too. Charlie stands by the door, meows to go out, either me or another member answers her call, and puts the harness and walks her around or clips the harness to a long rope in our yard.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Okay okay Cyprian....

You are in a mountain town? And you have a cat on a lead named "Giz"? Is it short for Gizmo???? Because I have a friend in Banff, Alberta (a mountain town) that has a cat named Gizmo who is about 4 that has the same setup. She has also lost many cats to coyotes. I know this is a longshot! But hey if you are Kelly or you know Kelly, this is Tanya!

Good day,
tanyuh

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 06:36 PM

Do you know I have lost more pets to humans than disease, and other animals, combined? That's really sad that people can't respect other people's pets. It's so cruel! Why do they have to shoot your cat? Why couldn't they have been paying attention when speeding down the road? Why couldn't they have given her the right treatment at the vet? Sorry, just rambling on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page