Getting another kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Getting another kitten?

Right..basically I already have one young cat who is just over 1 yr old and is male. He's sweet sometimes, but he NEVER sits on my lap anymore But anyhoo..I was thinking how a lot of people usually have 2 cats to keep each other company and I was thinking that it might be good if I got another kitten? I got him for my birthday last year and it was my first cat experience so I didn't know what characteristics I was looking for. I was thinking (again :p) maybe this time I'd be more aware and look for a VERY affectionate cat who would grow up to love sitting on your lap...and this may mean that my current cat would want to become more affectionate to gain a bit more attention? I think I give my current cat a bit too much affection and now he a bit spoilt. :p I'm 15 this August and my dad works during the day, and I know you're meant to feed them at lunchtimes when they're very young so I'm hoping he would be able to come back home (which he does usually) to feed the new one. Do you think it's a good idea, as I crave a cat that comes up and cuddles up to you. :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:28 AM

My cat had some behavioral problems at the ripe age of 1.
My friends and I found some abandoned kittens and I decided that it was time my cat had a companion.
Wow... it really helped my cat's behavioral problems!! He took about a week of adjustment, and then slowly slowly began to warm up to my new kitten. Suddenly, he changed his behavior too!! The problems of biting and wanting to eat your feet and the carpet went away.. he was suddenly an angel.
Now, my cats have each other when I'm not there. I often catch them bathing each other which is cute as can be.... they are 3 and 2 now.
I would say getting a kitten is a great idea, but be very aware that you need to prepare for an adjustment period.
I would introduce them by leaving a new kitten/cat in a cage for a few hours while the older cat sniffs around and gets used to him/her. Then, I would also make sure I was around when they were together.... at least for a week or two. If you leave, I'd seperate them in different rooms until you got home... for the kitten's safety.
Let us know your decision!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Ahh cool! I'll tell my dad this.. Yeah, he bites your foot and arm every chance he gets...but he never breaks the skin so he's not evil I guess; but you know it'd be lovely if he had another cat to play with. I'm on my summer holidays and I'm not going away so this would be an excellent time to try and get them used to each other....if my dad would let me grrr. Hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:06 PM

New Kitten

Your cat will probably react better since he is still quite young. When my husband and I got married, we brought together my cat, who was 7 and his cat, who was under 2. They have never completely gotten along. They tolerate each other, but my cat (Tammy Faye), who is a definite Type A cat, has always hissed and knocked his cat around. Finally, Sheba (his) started to fight back. A couple of weeks ago, we got a new kitten, Ming Lee. My husband thought Sheba would mother her and I was worried that Tammy would beat her up. We had totally different results. Tammy seems bored with her and only hisses once in a while. Ming tried to play with her first. Sheba, who runs and hides when strangers come to the house, did the same with Ming. After a couple of days, she started coming out, but hissed (she had never done that in her 10 years) and tries to knock her down. I surmised that Sheba is upset more because she has been the "baby" of the family for 10 years. Also, even though Sheba was Glenn's cat, she has become my baby, while Tammy prefers Glenn. I have made a bigger effort to pick up and cuddle Sheba since Ming has joined the household. Ming continues to try to play with both of them and the ice seems to be melting. Since Tammy is 16 and Sheba is 10, it may never be a marriage made in heaven, but at least they don't do any major damage to her.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 12:42 AM

There are some cats that don't like other cats around, that are usually the female cats. I think getting a second cat would be a good idea, this way they will keep each other company and play with each other. When you get a kitten, it is hard to tell there personality. They are very cuddley as kittens but when they reach adulthood, they become less dependant and don't want to stay on laps. I got mine as kittens, they were all cuddley but until they turn 1 yr, they don't want to stay. I recommend getting 1 yr old cat, you can tell there personlity more and they won't change once they are set in there ways. I guess it doen't matter what sex but if you get a male, get one that is fixed and a female that is spayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page