URGENT! I need some advice about my pregnant cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

URGENT! I need some advice about my pregnant cat

My boyfriend and I are going away to a relatives' wedding, we'll be away for 4days. We've arranged for someone to come in and check up on all 3 kitties but Doodles is pregnant (due within a week).

She had a lot of trouble with her last litter, the last kitten came out backward with the sac burst and Doodles was so tired that the kitten got stuck and we had to step in and help (the wee darling was fine and is a picture of health).

So I'm worried that she will have the kittens during the night with no-one there. However... my mum (who lives 20miles away) has offered to come and take Doodles to her house until we get back.

Do you think theres more chance of her getting really upset being in a strange house, maybe try to run away and give birth outside or is it actually a good idea?

Please help. x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 12:05 PM

Hmm..I thought that when cats give birth they go somewhere warm and cosy on their own....so maybe as long as she keeps all the windows and doors shut your cat will find a suitable place no matter in which house it is.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

With the last litter she she made it quite clear that she wanted me around so i popped her onto the sofa with old towels and blankets and she stayed there until I put her and the kittens into a cosy box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Oh, Yanikin, this is a tough one. My cat usually went the full time-63-65 days. I would give a trusted friend a key to check on her every evening. I would isolate mother cat in the bedroom with lots of food and water and a litter box. It's not unusual for kittens to be born feet first.

My biggest worry would be a kitten getting stuck higher in the birth canal because it's too big. Of course you could board her with the vet. That would be best, but more expensive of course. If you know you'll be back before the 63 days, I'd be tempted to have a friend kitty knows check her daily. If you're not sure, I'd board her at the vet's. It's worth not having the worry. Please let us know the results.

I had this happen many years ago with a stray. She had six kittens born-and one little paw, but I was back in college. I went to my courses and came home, and rushed in to see the kitten that I was sure was born after I left. My son was home with her, but didn't look as carefully as I would. There were still six kittens and one paw. She had to have a caesarean or become toxic. She ended up being an expensive stray! She was really too young to have kittens, evidently got away from home during her first heat. We couldn't find her family. Who knows how far she had wandered, poor thing!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:28 PM

That wouldn't be the best for her. Moving her to your moms could be very stressful on her. I would have someone come to your house to check up on her or for them to stay there at your place.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice!! I've already arranged for a couple of friends to take turns in checking up on them, I'm just a bit nervous with it being so close to the birth.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:32 PM

I'm sure the little mama will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page