Cat "paw" language - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Cat "paw" language

Whenever my cat lays on my lap and purrs while I pet him, his paws slowly open and close. I've seen other cats do this as well while in the state of purring bliss.

Does anyone know exactly what is behind this paw motion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 PM

What you're talking about is when a cat is "kneading" their paws. They did that when they were nursing kittens to get their mother's milk stimulated. It is said that they will carry on this trait when they are adults and when they "knead" it gives them a since of comfort. They "knead" when they are content and happy, just like they were when they were with their mum. So, be happy! Your baby thinks of you as his/her mom!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

So when they are nursing, how does kneading their paws stimulate the mother's milk? Do they knead their paws up against their mother's stomach or something like that? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:30 PM

I never personally had a litter of kittens, so I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe they put their paws on their mother's stomache and knead while they are nursing the get the milk flowing better. Puppies do it too! When my dog had puppies, they kneaded Susie's belly. But when they got older, their claws got alot sharper and really scared up Susie's belly. We were told later by a vet you're supposed to clip and file their claws...oops...anyways, I'm not saying the kittens will scar your cat, because remember, these were 7 HUGE large breed puppies! Compared to a little (takes a shot in the wind) .5 ounce kitten, I don't think they'll do quite as much damage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page