Cat and Socialization - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Cat and Socialization

Hi, this is my first time post.

I live alone in an one bedroom apartment with my 9 month old cat, Timmy.

Since I've had dogs all my life, so I'm pretty knowledgeable about dogs. I know dogs needs to be socialized with other dogs. THis is especially important as puppies.

Now, I was wondering if I need to socialize Timmy with other cats? Is it neccessary at all? If Timmy do need to be socialized, it's gonna be a problem for me because I don't know anyone else who has cats.

I am also concern about Timmy's safety with other cat. Timmy is small in size (female cat), her nails are trimmed, and Timmy is a very shy and nice cat. In case of other cat attacts, Timmy might not be able to defend herself.

I thought about just bringing Timmy outside once a while for her to "look at the world" (she's been an indoor cat since.. ever!), but everytime I bring her outside, she got nervous and scared. (so I don't bring her out anymore).

Anyways, what I'm trying to ask is, whether I need to socialize my cat (just like I did with my dogs)? Or is it okay to let Timmy stay indoor at all time and she'll be happy with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Oh and another question!

Since Timmy hasn't been in contact with other cat after she left her mom, Timmy doesn't know how to behave like a cat. Is that going to be a problem?

So far, she can use the litter box like a cat (probably copied from her mommy), use a scratching post like a cat (I taught her to). BUT! she doesn't hiss like a cat when she's mad. She never arched her back, raised her fur and hiss like a mad cat. If I did something that she doesn't like, all she did was an annoying "meeeow~~~" and look at me mad.

I think a cat that doesn't hiss is nice. I adore Timmy being so. My concern is, will not having contact with other cat have a negative effect on her overall mental well-being?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:50 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

If your cat has spend enough time with his mother he should know how to act like a cat, even though he doesn't show it to you.

The only reason for socializing Timmy with other cats is if he'll have to spend time with other cats. If you don't plan to get an other cat, there's no reason why he should have to get used to them.

But it won't hurt him to get to know other cats, maybe one day you'll get yourself an other one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:58 AM
Cool Cat

Cats are solitary animals anyway. It's good to socialize dogs as they're pack animals, but it's not necessary in cats.

As for cat behavior, it's both instinctive and taught by it's mom. So you shouldn't have to worry about anything. BTW - not hissing is a good thing! He sounds like he has a good temperment. Plus a lot of cats aren't that vocal. Moby has only growled once, and never hissed. And he only meows when he's trying to tell me something.

My cat Moby had been de-clawed, and he's learned to play and "fight" without them. As in he doesn't try to scratch things all that much, and when he's mad at me he usually tries to bite instead of scratch. So if your cat reacts like this that may be why as well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 02:28 PM

Bean, your cat is declawed? I didn't know that. I though you were against declawing? Did he come declawed or something? Just curious because no one on here that I knew of had their cat declawed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 03:30 PM
Cool Cat

If Timmy is content indoors, then there is no need to introduce him to new territory. There are far too many dangers outside. My cat will never be let outside. Also once you let some cats outside and they are curious, they will continually try to sneak out when you open the door.

If you give her the play time and attention and affection she needs and she doesn't come across as being lonely, she is probably happy being the only cat.

Welcome to the forum.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
I think your Timmy will be fine inside. I have a 10 year old cat that is afraid to go outside and he has been fine being an indoor cat all of his life. Richo is right--there are too many dangers outside and also once they get a "taste" of the outside world, they will sneak out all of the time. I would be glad that she is afraid and just leave her inside. I also don't think socialization is necessary either. Eventually you may decide to get another cat.....there may be some growling and hissing then, but they will adapt over time. Welcome to the Cat Forum!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:47 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
HB, Bean's cat has been moved from home to home since he was young. This is the first home where he can be assured he'll stay. He was already declawed. Bean would never declaw a cat.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:32 AM

**OFF TOPIC**

HB-Two of my cats are declawed. One of them had already been declawed and the other was my own stupidity. Two vets and a tech(before I became one) told me what a simple and painless proceedure it was blah blah blah and I believed them. I wasn't until I saw it myself, I was horrified at the truth.

I am very much against the surgery now and now try and talk as many people out of it as I can, even though that means I've had to give out free nail trims.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Cool Cat

The first owner declawed Moby - hopefully after he was a kitten.

He's also had a couple names too so I think having him respond to a names is out of the question. His first one was french, and Moby was his second. I don't love the name but oh well. He was named after the singer, but I just call him Moby the White Whale. hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page