Still no sign of Kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Still no sign of Kittens

My cat Suki is on the 65th day of pregnancy now and still there is no sign of kittens. She is quite big now and all her nipples are up. So till what day shall i wait to take her to the vet? Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Here's a quote from the CFA:

The average length of pregnancy in the cat is 65 days, but it can vary from 61 to as long as 71 or 72 days. Over their breeding life, most queens will establish a fairly predictable pattern for length of gestation. A litter delivered before 61 days will have a high mortality rate since the kittens may not have lungs mature enough to support life outside the uterus. In dogs, the fetal heart rate shows a significant decrease in the five days before whelping, and this can be used to predict delivery. This cannot be used to predict delivery for queens, however, since the fetal heart rate of kittens stays steady throughout pregnancy. For some queens the rectal temperature may be used to monitor for impending delivery as it is in dogs, although it can be unreliable. Start taking the temperature at about day 61. When the temperature has dropped one full degree (usually to about 99°F or less), labor has begun and obvious signs should appear in 12 to 24 hours. This decline in temperature is triggered by falling progesterone levels. Another sign that active labor will begin within about 24-48 hours is the presence of milk in the mammary glands, although in some queens milk comes in many days before delivery of the litter.
__________________________________________________ ________
Of course if you are concerned, always call the veterinarian. Please let us know when the kittens are born. I hope all turns out well, and you soon have healthy kittens. I know the last few days are nerve wracking, but all of a sudden labor starts, and you're on your way! I would not wait 71 days. That would be a rare case. 65-67 is average.
______

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

We have taken her temperature earlier today and it was 99 and it is the 65th day. So i suppose she will have them today or tommorow.
Thanx for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Also her milk has started because there was a white crust on her nipples. But that has been about 2 days ago and forth on.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I would gently wash the crust off her nipples, and rinse well. That's problaby leaking milk. If the babies are still moving, they're fine, as of npw. Please let us know when the excitement starts!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Yes you can see that the kittens are moving I will try to wash the crusts off but it is hard as she doesnt like us touching her tummy at the moment! I will do it when she is asleep and is more calmer. I will till you when it happens and I will post pics of the new kittens when they are here. Thanx for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page