Is your cat overweight? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Is your cat overweight?

The younger bunch I have are all fit and trim thanks to measured portions of food and plenty of exercise. Mitzi on the other hand... Well she's a little pudge.

I took over her care when she was overweight so it's not my fault! In the last two years she's dropped a considerable amount of weight but I wanted to do it slowly as not to cause any health issues.

She was pretty upset when her portions were cut back and when she tried to steal food from the others I'd be hiding with the squirt gun, waiting for just the right moment to blast her.

She learned pretty quickly that she wasn't going to get away with stealing food and has pretty much stopped. I still have to keep an eye on her though.

We did have a scare this past winter with her. She wasn't feeling so well so I had some blood run on her. Her profile looked really great for a cat her age but she was a border line diabetic so that was more of an incentive to get the weight off her. I'm going to test her sugar again in the next couple weeks to see where it's at and hope her blood sugar is back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 10:17 AM

My kittens aren't overweight-YET. Lucky doesn't really seem to care much about food. She eats a litlle when she's hungry, but ignores it the rest of the time. Keira, on the other hand, will eat until her belly is hard as a rock! So I'm trying to figure out what is a good amount to feed her so that she isn't starving, but isn't stuffed either. Problem is, Lucky seems to be a grazer and Keira just a pig, so she eats it all first and Lucky is left with nothing. I'm cutting way down on the canned, because that's what Keira loves the best.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 01:58 PM

Chester has always been thin/lean.

Lizzy has been pretty flabby most of her life. Not like a solid fat, but that squishy fat that hangs off her belly. Now that she's older, though, she's gotten thinner but she still has all this loose skin that hangs down from when she was fat.

Emily is starting to get the flabby belly like lizzy did

Jupiter is just a very solid, stocky cat. I don't really consider her fat, just big.

-Chelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
Kitty and Yoda are both chunky butts. Sophie is fit, but looks big because of her fur. Kittygirl is tiny, but has that little pouchy belly. Actually, they all have the pouch--probably because they are fixed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Nope, I don't have any overweight cats. I'm actuarally working on getting my youngest female to gain weight. She's been so skinny even though it got better after she was neutered. Now I feed her kittenfood and she's gaining some weight. Now I only have to remember to take her off the kittenfood in time
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 05:16 PM

I have three cats, one female and two males. My tabby boy, he is a little overweight. He was likes this when we adopted him, the owner before fed him too much and now he puts on the weight and cannot lose any. Sabrina and Joey are slim, they always have been like this. We adopted as kittens so started them on a feeding planned and they got use to that schedule. Toby and Sabrina both share dishes and I do not leave Joey dish down there because Toby eats out every dish he can find. I don't want him to get any bigger. I use to leave Sabrina dish on the counter so she can eat out of her food dish but now I can't because Toby would get up there and eat her food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page