Stinky Litter Box Room - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Stinky Litter Box Room

Does anyone else have this problem? The corner bedroom where I keep Barnaby's litter boxes kind of stinks and the odor flows into the rest of the house.

A while back I cleaned the carpet (unfortunately a thick pile carpet) and then put down a 4 X 8 piece of plywood with vinyl flooring adhered to it to set the litter boxes on, hoping that this would keep the odors from getting into the carpet but they still do. I have a plug in air cleaner with a pet odor filter right next to the boxes but that doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 04:14 PM

Can you open the window? I find just a half hour of fresh air really helps in my kitties' room. You could try one of the fresh air candles. They are unscented but claim to absorb ordors. I burnt a vanilla scented candle this weekend to get rid of some of the cat smell, but some cats might not like the smell.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
The Nilodor system should rid the room of odor completely! Here's a link:

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping/st ... F313.shtml

Obviously there are many other brands, but I know of people who have had colostomies who used this. I was able to buy it at the drugstore, but I want the system, because it's automatic. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 06:43 PM

I use a little bit of Arm & Hammer litter box deodorizer mixed into their litter every day and I find that helps eliminate the smell.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yes, I was concerned about any fragrance because I have heard that cats don't like perfumes. I've learned that he doesn't like scented litter, but the "stick up" that I have in the litter room doesn't seem to bother him.

Is this Nilodor system pretty strong in fragrance and/or can you control the output of the device in case it is too strong? It sounds like it is worth trying.

I've tried some of those Glade Plug Ins but even at their lowest setting they are overpowering.

Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:04 PM

Try to find an ENZYME cleaner. You can clean out the box and then lightly spay some on the litter. Not too much though. It won't hurt the kitties. This helps me, especially since thier litterbox is in my bedroom!!! Hope this helps.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Nilodor, as I know it, does not have a strong scent of its own. However, you can buy the fragrant ones, like citrus, etc. However, I would get the canisters that say fresh or clean smell. You can decide how often it will go off. The kind I bought was not meant to substitute a good odor for a bad odor, but to erase the odor entirely.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
I was just wondering if you used bag liners in the litterbox. I think these kind of help to prevent the pee smell from actually absorbing into the litterbox. It is also good to wash the litterbox with soap and water every so often.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:53 PM

My kitten actually doesn't like those liners cause his claws get caught on them when he's scratching around (on the sides, not the bottom). But I know a lot of people that use them.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:00 AM

Litter boxes? How often do you clean the litter box? If I'm home when he "goes" I tilt the box to one side, remove the urine clump with a small plastic bag on my hand (the same way dog owners pick up poop), & spray sanitizer on the bottom of the box & wipe clean with toilet paper (which I flush). I also flush the poops promptly, that way their odor doesn't get into the litter.
Keeping up with it like this, the box never really has any waste in it, & all I do is keep the level topped up with fresh litter. It stays so clean you could almost put your hand in there. Almost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page