moral dilemma.. need input! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

moral dilemma.. need input!

Hi guys... I just registered here because I have a dilemma that's pressing on me pretty hard. I'm on vacation in Greece on the island of Corfu and there's this mother cat here who is absolutely skin and bones. I located four kittens... three healthy, one dead. They're being fed but the only thing in the bowl was bread, and they hadn't touched that. I snuck them some omelette from breakfast and they scarfed it down, so I know that even though they look very young they're old enough to eat solid food. Now I'm harboring unrealistic considerations about taking one home with me over the european train system to sweden, where I live. I know that if I leave it here they'll end up like the calico I saw... starving, neglected, and missing one eye. Technically, I could probably do it, since there isn't any customs control on the train system (loopholes! bwahaha!). But realistically, everyone tells me it's a bad idea. The cats have no owners and are simply tolerated around the village because they keep the vermin down. There's no rescue shelters that I've been able to find out about in Greece. Help! What shoudl I do?? Please reply soon because I'll be leaving the island in a few days. Thanks!

PS: email is [email protected]

will post pictures of the babies when I get back to Sweden

~Megara.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Since you live in Sweden I guess you speak Swedish so I´ll take it in Swedish. If I'm wrong just tell me and I'll take it in English.

Har du möjlighet att vaccinera och avmaska katten innan du åker hem igen? Om du kan få katten vaccinerad mot kattpest, kattsnuva och rabies samt ett veterinärintyg på att katten är avmaskad borde du kunna ta in katten även om du skulle åka fast. Rabiesvaccinationen kommer iofs inte vara giltig då det inte finns tid för att texta mot antikroppar, men försöka duger. Om du bestämmer dig för att ta med katten så ber jag dig att vaccinera och avmaska. Vaccinet skyddar ju katten men men avmasking skyddar ju katten ifrån att föra över mask på andra katter tex. rävbandmask.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Cool Cat

However, the rest of us that don't speak Swedish would like to follow this story as well. How about a translation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo
However, the rest of us that don't speak Swedish would like to follow this story as well. How about a translation.
Yeah, sure

I told Megara that it could work out since there are no custom controls BUT if Megara decides to bring the cat to Sweden the cat should be vaccinated and dewormed. The cat should be vaccinated against cat flu, panleucopenia and rabies. However, non of the vaccinations would be valid if the cat would be discovered at the Swedish border. The reason why I took it in Swedish was mainly because I don't know the names of the things the cat should be treated for before entering Sweden. Deworming is very important, and it should be done by a vet. There's this nasty worm in southern Europe that we don't have in Sweden and we don't want it here either since it can infect people too, it's one of these dangerous worms that I don't have the English name for.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 05:38 PM

Megara, I know how it feels when you see feral cats on holiday. I've recently come back from Greece, well, Kefalonia, and I found it heartbreaking seeing all of the starving cats there. There was one in particular I befriended, a sweet calico who I named Meli (Greek for Honey). This may sound harsh but would it be a good idea to bring them back with you? I can understand feeling attatched to them, and I realise they'd have a much better life with you, but for every cat that gets rescued by well-meaning tourists there are hundreds more who aren't so lucky. I can see you obviously care about them a lot. But, as you said, it might be difficult to take them back with you. Also, when I hear stories of people who spend a lot of money in rescuing feral cats from abroad, I can't help thinking that money would have been better spent if it had gone to an organisation designed to help feral animals in Greece. That way, it can be spent on things like neutering which are essential to help stop the feral problem.
I've found the names of some charities:
Greek Animal Rescue
The Greek Cat Welfare Society
WSPCA
Sorry, but the addresses were British ones and I couldn't find any web addresses
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I know that Greece has been killing its feral cats. I have signed petitions regarding that problem. I understand that those kittens have brought a problem to you personally, and I know I'd be tempted to rescue them myself, but I wouldn't want to be guilty of encouraging someone to break the law. You do have a problem! You'd have to have them vaccinated to prevent the spread of disease; that's a certainty. I wish I could be of more help. I can only empathize with you.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 01:28 AM

It looks like Megara is more than ready to take the kitties back with her since she is talking about pictures already. I would be tempted to do the same thing. .. since I get attached to animals, esp helpless ones . I understand what you mean, Majicou, but I think Megara is setting a good example by getting involved in a particular case instead of just sending money (which - please don't get me wrong- does help a lot when you don't have alternatives). Briefly, my point is that I encourage both : adopting + donating (if some people adopt then some donate ...then there are more solutions so the problems can be solved sooner)
I hope, Megara, that you will take the right decision that will bring peace to your soul...good luck ..and maybe we will see pictures
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the input :)

Hey guys.. thanks for all the info and opinions. It really is a hard situation. I'm looking into the organizations found by Manjicou, but it's tricky since none of the locals seem to be aware of them! There's no vet in town but I'm talking to one of the local surgeons and see if he can get ahold of one. Deworming could be tricky.... men tack for ideerna, sarskilt dom om vilka sjukdomar jag behover kolla for. Jag skall forsoka gora mitt basta They really are precious... and now I've got other people at the resort/hostel feeding them. Maybe if I can make them into a sort of hostel mascot they'll be well taken care of even if I can't bring them with me. As for peace for my soul.... it sounds like a simple thing, requiring only a strong cup of coffee and a furry feline in my lap, but it can be SO hard to achieve sometimes....

Will keep you all updated.
Thankyou again!!!!

~Megara.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page