Do your cats go outside? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Do your cats go outside?

All five of my cats are strictly indoors because I feel it's the safest thing for them. We have a huge coyote population around here and many neighborhoods have been cleaned out of cats by them. I also live not very far from a highway so I'd be afraid if one of the cats wandered down that way.

Plus I feel better knowing they are not coming in contact with certain diseases and parasites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

My cats are allowed outside IN A LEASH! The devon isn't to fond of the "outside world" so I can have her loose on the terrace. The other adult always has a leash on when she's outside since she's got a nasty habit of running away if she gets the chance. However, when I have kittens non of the cats are allowed to go outside before the kittens have been fully vaccinated.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 11:03 AM

After having a bad experience with one of my acquaintance's cat and being so well informed member of the forum I have made the decision to keep Frosty inside. I am still considering also getting him used to a leash. I haven't got to the reading point on how to do it in the cat book I am studying. How soon have you started training your cats, Sol? I would like for Frosty to have a taste of the outside also. But if it comes to the point where he may try to sneak out as soon as I open the door I would rather not. I am so tense when I see an animal loose on the road out there ( be it domesticated or wild) or at the animals' of prey will, like Jessica is telling us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 02:28 PM

When we lived in California, we were on the very edge of town in the middle of the desert so we let the cats out (had Chester & Lizzy at the time). Since we moved to Missouri and live in town (by the city park no less ) all our cats have been strictly indoor cats. We have a lot of traffic on our street, lots of kids in the park, several other cats that run loose, and my neighbors let their two dogs run the neighborhood (one of which is a very mean lab).

-Chelle
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 03:12 PM

That is what happened to the little kitty I was mentioning. My acquaintance left him outside because her boyfriend didn't want the kitty to spray all over the house since he had a dog. A little after he came another neighbourhood cat attacked it. I had heard it all happening at night it since we were living together back then. He was so hurt, could barely move and in a few days the wound got infected. Well we took care of him and soon was on the right path...I was so excited till one morning I went outside and no sign of him but then found him smashed in the yard : 2 large neighbourhood dogs attacked him. I can't describe what a horrible shock that was.I don't like to be so criticizing but I wish so much that some people showed more consideration and looked at pets in a different way. After this she wanted to get another kitty....
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 03:30 PM

Outdoors

Ours only go into our fenced-in backyard or in the front yard if we are in the front. They have never realized that they could probably jump the fence, of which, I am glad. I get them in before it is dark and they are only out if we are at home. It is a treat to them! I have not yet let my kitten out in the backyard because she wouldn't probably come if I called and she's so small she could hide in the yard where I might not find her. She gets to go outside at the lake when we are outside. The other girls don't get the luxury of being "traveling cats" like Ming.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 05:08 PM

My cat is allowed out, but only at the back (there is a high wooden gate separating the back and front garden). Luckily he is not a very adventurous sort of cat anyway, so he seems happy with his little territory. My road is fairly quiet but even so, I've seen too many cats killed by traffic.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Cool Cat

I would never let my cat outside. I would be so afraid that he would not come back. There are far too many dangers and cruel people. My cat was brought up from a kitten indoors and without a taste of the outside world, he never tries to sneak out. I've thought about letting him wander around the backyard under my supervision but it's too easy for him to crawl under my deck and I'm sure it's dirty under there, including a hornets nest.

He seems to be content where he is. I always know he is safe.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm sure I mentioned before that my cats are not allowed outside. My road is just too busy. Since I raised Siamese for a couple of years, they were not neutered, so they wouldn't have been allowed outside anyway. This is a semi-rural community, but it's a shortcut to the PA turnpike and the shopping area. The speed limit is 25, but seldom observed. My cats have only been to the vet and back in a carrier. It's much safer this way.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 07:51 PM

The place I got my kitty from said in the contract that I'm not to let her outside. Even if it didn't, I don't think I would. Too many risks. She's never shown any interest in going outside anyway, she's perfectly content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page