Cat Forum banner

Crazy meowing kitten!!!

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Richo 
#1 ·
My kitten is driving me craaaaaazy! I know, he is Siamese so he is expected to meow more than usual. HOWEVER, whenever my boyfriend or I are in the kitchen making ANYTHING (yesterday my bf was chopping greenpepper and the kitten was going nuts meowing...my boyfriend was like "it's greenpepper buddy, what are you going to do??").....he is meowing like CRAZY and it drives us nuts.

I think the breeder is to blame. When I picked him up she told me that she fed him and his parents pieces of chicken if she was eating that, or bits of whatever she was eating. So now I think he expects it. If we are sitting down eating, he is trying to find the best angle to see what we are doing. I have now trained him to NOT go on the table when we are eating and to not come too close to us. However, his little legs have gotten strong enough to investigate the counter now (he couldn't make the jump before).....

so....................

How can I get him to stop this crazy meowing every time we are trying to cook? And how can I train him to stay off the counters. I can't be watching him all the time.
Any advice would be great. He is almost 15 weeks old if that matters!

See less See more
#4 ·
My cat will not jump on the kitchen counters when I am around because he knows better. When he first developed the strength to jump up there I would stomp my foot and shout "NO!" and he would jump down. From repeated times of doing this, he has learned that he is not allowed on there (when I am around, of course) :twisted: . I have caught him on the counter enough times when he didn't think I could see but he never jumps on it when I am in the room. I even went so far as to position a mirror so I could see the counter from where I sit and watch TV.

You may try using a simple Radio Shack motion sensor alarm to keep on the counter when you are not home. It is about $20. I originally bought one to keep my cat away from the Christmas tree but after a while, he was no longer afraid of it. I imagine it works for some cats but not for others.

Do you have any kitty treats to give your cat when he is begging? If you give him something he likes, it may stop the begging for the time being.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.