Crazy meowing kitten!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Crazy meowing kitten!!!

My kitten is driving me craaaaaazy! I know, he is Siamese so he is expected to meow more than usual. HOWEVER, whenever my boyfriend or I are in the kitchen making ANYTHING (yesterday my bf was chopping greenpepper and the kitten was going nuts meowing...my boyfriend was like "it's greenpepper buddy, what are you going to do??").....he is meowing like CRAZY and it drives us nuts.

I think the breeder is to blame. When I picked him up she told me that she fed him and his parents pieces of chicken if she was eating that, or bits of whatever she was eating. So now I think he expects it. If we are sitting down eating, he is trying to find the best angle to see what we are doing. I have now trained him to NOT go on the table when we are eating and to not come too close to us. However, his little legs have gotten strong enough to investigate the counter now (he couldn't make the jump before).....

so....................

How can I get him to stop this crazy meowing every time we are trying to cook? And how can I train him to stay off the counters. I can't be watching him all the time.
Any advice would be great. He is almost 15 weeks old if that matters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 05:18 PM

The only way I trained my cats to not get on the counter, is to let them on the counter, lol. We feed them up there so they kno that is where their food is...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Maleke, He'll quiet down as he gets older. I clapped my hands and said "no," to teach my kittens to get down. It worked well. Everything is so new to kittens. I think that's why God made them so cute--so we'd keep them despite the chaos! :)

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Cool Cat

My cat will not jump on the kitchen counters when I am around because he knows better. When he first developed the strength to jump up there I would stomp my foot and shout "NO!" and he would jump down. From repeated times of doing this, he has learned that he is not allowed on there (when I am around, of course) . I have caught him on the counter enough times when he didn't think I could see but he never jumps on it when I am in the room. I even went so far as to position a mirror so I could see the counter from where I sit and watch TV.

You may try using a simple Radio Shack motion sensor alarm to keep on the counter when you are not home. It is about $20. I originally bought one to keep my cat away from the Christmas tree but after a while, he was no longer afraid of it. I imagine it works for some cats but not for others.

Do you have any kitty treats to give your cat when he is begging? If you give him something he likes, it may stop the begging for the time being.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page