She couldn't afford to get her fixed... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

She couldn't afford to get her fixed...

...there's this new woman at another Cat site. She let her cat get pregnant (whoa, she got out!) and now she says she's going to take mother and 3 kittens to a kill shelter. I volunteer at an SPCA myself. I'm so angry that I can't express it in a civil forum...

She says she couldn't afford to get her fixed, praises her own compassion for rescuing her as a stray. I can't decide whether she is stupid or just a very primitive form of human being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 02:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That breaks my heart.

Here is a list of no kill shelters by state. Please pass this information on to that woman. I will ask Dan to post it as a sticky.

http://www.saveourstrays.com/no-kill.htm

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 02:49 PM

Hey don't let her do that!! I'm sure someone would take care of her and her kittens. My vet had a mommy cat and kittens, and they took care of them until they got big enough to get new homes. Mommys still there though.

Be sure to give her a list of a no-kill shelter. If she 'wants' them to die... Then lie and say it is a kill shelter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Oh, now I'm getting dogpiled on the thread about how not everyone has the resources blah, blah, blah...she has been provided with lists of non-kill shelters, rescue groups, low-cost spay neuter, etc. If she's online, how difficult is it to find resources, really? Google much? If she can afford a **** computer, she can afford to get the cat fixed!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 04:03 PM

If she knew she couldn't afford to get it fixed, why did she get a cat in the first place? I hate it when people's stupidity costs innocent animals their lives.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 06:17 PM

Fixed

I recently got a kitten. I have two other cats and am aware that yearly shots are expensive, but the $ I have forked out for this kitten have been unreal! Just getting her through her 3 sets of shots and (unfortunately) dealing with deworming, etc. has cost about $400. The cost of spaying has risen dramatically since I had my other two done. With all that said, I would never think of not having her fixed. I let my oldest go too long and her brother got her pregnant. I was young & stupid at the time! I think back then (15 years ago) it only cost $40. I thought it was $40 I didn't have. I easily found homes for the kittens, but the world really didn't need those additional 5 lives!!!

That this gal thinks she is some kind of saint for taking in the mother cat, but allowing her to get pregnant is insane!!! If you don't want to spay them, you don't allow them outside or around unneutered male cats!!! Time to get off my soapbox now!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 08:46 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix
Oh, now I'm getting dogpiled on the thread about how not everyone has the resources blah, blah, blah...she has been provided with lists of non-kill shelters, rescue groups, low-cost spay neuter, etc. If she's online, how difficult is it to find resources, really? Google much? If she can afford a **** computer, she can afford to get the cat fixed!
Stick to your guns, you are absolutely right about this. It was this person's fault for allowing her cat to get pregnant and it is so wrong that she is now willing to just have them put down (or at least very possibly put down). Irresponsible people make me sick!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Felix, I don't blame you for getting upset. I think we all are. The problem is that if that woman gets on the defensive, she'll feel more and more justified in doing what she stated. Try to be patient, even though it's almost impossible, and she might listen. You might be able to save that little familly. I wish you the best.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 12:17 PM

It was good of the woman to rescue the mother cat, but that doesn't justify killing several kittens. She doesn't really have any excuse. She could have just taken the mother cat to a shelter when she first found it - a no-kill one!
Thanks for posting that Felix, and good luck in persuading her not to have them put down.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 12:57 PM

no-kill shelters

I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but even though no-kill shelters do not euthanise animals, doesn't this mean when they get full that they must turn animals away? I have been to no-kill shelters before and some had a 3 month waiting list. All other animals are turned away to shelters that DO euthanise animals. As well, the facilities are often overcrowded, dirty, understaffed, etc. Although I think it is wonderful that the animals in these shelters are not on death row, I think it is misleading to see this as a win-win situation. It just means that someone else's stray is going to die. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I feel that this situation should be looked at realistically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page