Depressed Cat?!? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Depressed Cat?!?

Precious, my cat was brought to our house where shr ruled for two years with two-three dogs (one got hit by a car a year ) under her rule. about a year ago we got another cat. She objected highly but we kept the kitty. About 6-8 months ago, we got one more cat to replace one that had recently died. This was to be an inside cat and she hissed and spit when he came into the same room as precious. about a week ago we got another dog. Precious hisses and spits more than ever now. and she puts her ears back nearly all the time. She seems depressed that her territoy is being taken away but whoever heard of a depressed cat? Does anyone have some expirence in this matter? I will appriciate all the help I can get. Thanks alot. <<))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 02:58 AM
Cool Cat

I can't necessarily relate but I heard from friends of mine that when they got their second cat, their first one lost her sweet nature and it never came back. They say she used to be very sweet and loving and even though she has learned to accept sharing her "territory" with another cat, she is not as sweet as she used to be.

I have thought about getting another cat as company for Barnaby (and I would like to have another) but the last thing I want to do is change his sweet behavior in any way, or make him feel betrayed. I love my little guy and would hate to do anything that would upset him. I could never look at a cat as something to try out and return if it doesn't work out.

Even though he is left alone quite a bit, he seems content being the only cat.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 10:23 AM

Ariel:

Sure there's such a thing as a depressed cat! I have one of my own, he's also got anxiety issues.

Not every cat will like the company of another animal, it's just how it is, others will opening accept another animal with time, and some will always have little tiffs here and there, but in general a "peacefull" co-existants.

If you want more then one cat, it's normally better to team them up with a new buddy(s) when they are very young. Older cats are set in their ways, and frankly an intrusion such as this can sometimes make them grumpy if you will.

I have noticed, with my Asim, any additional animal (specially cats or dogs) that have come into this house (I foster) his personality changes a little bit, and in some cases it changes when that said animal leaves as well.
He tells me when he's sick of having so many animals in the house, or when I'm not paying him enough attention, etc... and during those periods I do stop fostering.

Make sure you pay plunty of attention to your first cat, give him a place he can retreat to if he is feeling over whelmed, such as a section of the house just for him, or a nice big room where he has toys, litter box etc.
Also, did you do proper and slow introductions, this part can be very important! How long have you had this new cat, it can take weeks or months for some cats to finally get along. Give it time and play with both of them together a lot.
If things start to get much worse take the old cat to your vet, perhaps some behavoiral medication is in order (I personally prefer not to do this with Asim) but maybe they will work for you cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your help everybody!
I do pay tons of attention to Precious. I took her to the vet once to see if she was in pain or something because she usually only puts her ears back for that reason. He said that if she was coming in for merely a check-up, she was in perfect health. she still has all her sweetness when its just me and her with our old animals in the room. But if one of the others walks in she starts hissing and spitting as you would never think she could. And she completly ignores my birds. She acts as though thay aren't there (which is a good thing, cause I trained her to do that) But the thing I dont understand is that she ignores the bird, and kills the dog. thanks for you guidence. (((=
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Ariel, Have you tried rubbing all of your animals with the same towel-to give them a similar odor? Feliway might also be helpful. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

I'll try that. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page