Please help! Kitty pooping on floor! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Please help! Kitty pooping on floor!

We love our cats, but one of them is pooping on the floor! We are in the process of figuring out which one it is, but could someone help us get rid of the problem? We have had one cat for 2 years and the other for 3. They are a Siamese and a tabby kitty.
The cat (or cats) poop and pee in hidden places. At first we thought it was the new litter, but when we changed it it kept happening. We tried moving the pans in seperate parts of the room but it still happened. We have 1 litter pan per cat.
It may be an aquired habit because we don't know how long they were doing it, we discovered a poo and pee corner in our basement. Please help us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Cool Cat

How often does this happen? I guess the first thing you need to find out is who is responsible. Then from there you'll have to find out what he/she doesn't like about the litter. How long have you been noticing this?

Once their fecal/urine scent gets on something (the corner of the basement for instance) the cat will sense that it is a good place to go potty. You have to begin by removing the scent. Is there carpeting? There is a spray product called "equalizer" that is made for removing pet elimination odors. Check out this website for cleaning products:

http://www.revivalanimal.com/

You can also call them. They are very helpful.

My Barnaby occasionally has an accident because he is very finicky about his litter box. Either it is too smelly, too clean, doesn't like the kind of litter, etc. Fortunately it is just poo, the urine would be much more of a problem.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 07:58 PM

oh! I had the exact same problem! We found the answer by accident too. Do you have any litter boxes with hoods on them? As soon as we got one, the problem was over! Its a lack of privacy that your cat may be experiencing - as you said he goes in 'hidden' places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 12:26 AM
Cool Cat

On the flip side of that, I have read that some cats do not like litter boxes with the hood. It makes them feel as if they are trapped with only one escape should they need to. There are many factors that could be involved. If only your cat could tell you what the problem is...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

We just bought 2 new cat pans, they are the covered ones. In the past we had 3 uncovered ones for our two cats. After a few days of having the two covered pans together we found pee on the floor. It is tile and cement down there, They seem to poop&pee on the cement. I saw in your earlier post Richo that I had to get some cleaning products to get the smell out. What do you recommend for cement and tile? We already tried mopping with ammonia but that didn't seem to help...we decided to seperate the cats but when one gets in from the garage, and we look later we find pee! That happened once, the evidence seems to point at our tabby cat but we are not sure yet.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Cool Cat

For cleaning products, try the link I provided above. If you talk to them on the phone they will be able to tell you which product will do the job.

Is the cat "going" in the same spot in the basement every time?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Yes the cat has specific areas where it poops, but oddly enough we haven't found anything since we seperated them, is it possible that they just dont like pooping near eachother?

Oh and I looked at that Revival Animal site, and the only thing I found for destroying odors was this A-33 Dry stuff, it looks pretty strong... It was about the only product I could find on the site for cat odors.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Cool Cat

Did you find "Equalizer"? That is in a spray can and it's supposed to remove pet fecal odors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page