kitty litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

kitty litter

hi all-

i have a question about the cat litter i just bought. it's called premium choice litter beads, it's those little round silica beads. the girl at the pet store said she absolutely loves it and it has great odor control, so i bought it. i have a stinky kitty. what i'm worried about is how safe it is for my cat, and what the consequences of this litter on the environment are. it says environmentally friendly, but i just can't seem to trust it fully. does anyone have any information on silica litter? all i could find on the internet was product descriptions, no real information. any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Cool Cat

I did some internet searching and found that fresh step and arm & hammer crystals are comprised of silica. Both of these companies claim that there are no dangers to the cat. Another website I found spoke of the silica beads and said that if ingested, the beads would not expand and would safely pass through the cat's system. That's about all I could find.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

that's good to hear, thanks.

well, i decided to give it a try and he just pooed for the first time. i'll let everyone know how the smell thing goes.

one thing, the little beads get stuck in his paws and he shakes them all over, then chases them down. i think i may soon have kitty litter all over the apartment! @@$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 02:07 AM
Cool Cat

Yes, that's one thing I do recall reading, about the tracking of the beads all over the floor. Good luck...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

maybe i should get a scrap of carpet to put underneath. my entire apartment is either tile or hardwood. there will be no stopping those little things!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:51 PM

Eeeek! I'm done with the all silica litters, I've tried so many and they are just not up to par for my gang!

The first one I tried was "litter pearls".
And yes, they did track now and then (I've never met a litter that doesnt!)

One day, I was filling their boxes up again, and missed, and well the litter went EVERYWHERE, since it was round and able to roll, it really got EVERYWHERE.
I was sweeping for a good long time, as you can imagen!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

ha ha!

so what is the best litter? i'm really having trouble finding a good one that can deal with the poo smell. and i've also heard clumping clay litter is bad. is that true? and why?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:08 PM

I am also looking for the best kitty litter
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 01:20 PM

Clumping clay litter forms into a hard cement-like material when exposed to liquid.--edit--Actually, it is the active compound, sodium bentonite, that causes the super hard clumping, but all clumping clay litters use it. Also, the mining of the clay is a very evironmentally harmful process, and not at all renewable likt the recycled paper, wood or corn litters-- Think about what happens if your kitty eats some, or even just ingests it by grooming. There are reported cases of death due to blockage of intestines, lungs and nasal passages, mostly in kittens.

I use SWheat scoopable, because it is both clumping and flushable without containing clay. I love it! I have two kittens and get no smell, pee or poo, unless they have used the box less than maybe 2 minutes previous. They like it, had no problems adjusting to it, and I think it smells kind of nice, like bread. I scoop once or twice a day. I found that after a month a complete change of litter was needed.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

awesome, thanks for the info, rayona. i was looking at swheat, that'll be the next one i try.

i also have these dried fish treats i give him, could that be part of the smell problem? would dried beef treats be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page