Help Me! First time witha Kitty! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Help Me! First time witha Kitty!

Hello. My name is Khoa Pham. I have one cat. It is 3 months old and I love it like crazy. I adopted it at the Toronto Humane Society, if any of you know of it. Its a short hair feral (i dont beleive its domestic) kitten. i got it for a day now, and I haven't seen it use the litter box. I have its litterbox in my bathroom. Second, it seems to be very afraid of me, like its gentle, but it always hide in a corner, or go into one of my bookcase. When will it stop doing that and by the way. I put out some white towels for it to sleep in, and this morning, i wake up to see yellow stain. It must be urine, smells like it, so How do I solve this? Do cats usually urinate in a litterbox?

Please help. Im 15 in Ontario and I dont know what to do. Thank you for any reponses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:12 PM

Hello Khoa and welcome
Congratulations on getting the new baby. Is your kitty a boy or a girl? Just give it a little time and she/he will get used to you. Talk in a gentle voice with her and she will soon learn that you are her friend.
This is a thread similar to yours
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t ... tty+hiding and it might give you some clues
As for the litter box -yes you need one and make sure she sees you digging in it. That is how I showed my little kitty (also a feral but who wasn't scared because I got it when he was probably 3 weeks old).
I am sure you will get more advice on that one though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

THANKS IOANA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:15 PM

You are welcome, Khoa
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:31 PM
Premier Cat

When i first got my 2 kittens just make sure you place then near the litter and when they seem like they got to go to the bathroom, put them in the litter and paw the litter for them with their paws. It worked for me, but dont worry my 2 cats were somewhat cautious when I first got them too and they would always stick together and hide behind my computer and other odd places but now they are open and unhiding as can be !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Cool Cat

Yes, she's a stranger to your home so make sure she knows where the litter box is. Every few hours, bring her to it even if you don't think she needs to go. Just keep showing her the way to it so she knows how to find it when she does need to go. And yes, scratch it and dig in it with your hands showing her what to do.

I put a nightlight in the outlet closest to the litter box. Even though cats have excellent night vision, I figured it couldn't hurt.

I think all cats hide until they become comfortable with their surroundings. Just be sweet and talk softly to her. She will come around. Please keep us posted on how you do, and of course, pictures are always welcome if you have access to a digital camera or a scanner.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Yes, we want pictures!!!!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 01:20 AM
don

If you are digging in the litter box and it has been used wear plastic gloves and wash them after use. If using scoopable litter scoop it at least once a day. Change the towels often (washing with bleach) and rinsing throughly so the smell does not indicate to the cat that this is the place to go. Get a spray bottle and start training the kitten to avoid places where you do not want it to be. Ask other familymembers to help in training.
Enjoy your kitten. Domestic is usually in reference to a breed rather than a degree of tameness. A domestic breed can be either tame or feral.
If possible raise your cat to be an indoor only cat. don.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page