Horrible excrement smell! How do I 'cure' this? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Horrible excrement smell! How do I 'cure' this?

Well, sorry if the title may seem shocking, but that's exactly the problem.

About two weks ago, I found this young (8 months old) cat, which had been thrown out by someone. I already had a cat for 4 years, and I love these animals, so I adopted him. I cleaned him up and groomed him. After some hissing and chasing around, the two animals became friends. They are exclusively apartment cats, never go out.

They are currently using the same literbox, and eating the same type of dry food. But whenever the male goes for "number 2", you feel like fainting whenever you enter the bathroom, where the litterbox is. His excrement is always soft and horribly smelly. By comparison, our older cat has always had dry excrement, almost like deer droppings, and similar in aspect.

Is the male sick? What can I do to get rid of this problem?

I can't go to a vet, I'm unemployed and in major financial trouble as it is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

I would guess it is the food that causes the smell and the soft excrement. What do you feed your cats? Obviously the other cat doesn't have a problem with the food but a cat that have starved for a while can develope a sensitive stomach. If I were you I would get him off the food he eats now and feed him boiled fish and potatoes. You can boil alaskan pollok and some potatoes, make a nice purée of it and put some butter in it. Try this for a cupple of days and see if he gets any better. Youghurt can calm the stomach so you can give him that once a day. If he gets better try to mix some of the food you feed the other cat in the fish and potatoe mix. But just a little bit of it. If it works you can continue to mix in some of the cat food in the purée and finally you can give him only cat food (hopefully).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page