Just passing through... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Just passing through...

Just thought I would drop by and say hi.

Things are going well at home. My wife and I still talk about Newt and have a good laugh over some of the mischief he used to cause. Luckily we have few pictures of him.

We're planning on getting a new kitten after Christmas. This one is going to come from a private home, hopefully somewhere out in the country. I'll be back on when we get him. We want to be very careful about how to immunize and neuter him. Newt had his operation and vaccines all in the same week at the animal shelter before we bought him and we feel that may have been what compromised his immune system enough to allow the disease to be picked up. Is there a set schedule to follow?

(Vaccine at so many weeks, Neutered at so many weeks, etc.) Any other things we should pay attention to before starting over?

We had to throw all of Newt's stuff out to make sure it was not contaminated and are going to clean the house with bleach/water solution and steam clean the rugs to make sure. Thanks again for all the prayers and well wishes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 02:11 PM

Hey Newt,
Good to hear from you. That's great that you are getting a kitten after Christmas....I'm sure the new kitty will bring you many years of joy. It will be a lucky kitten to be going to such a great home. I wish you the best of luck with everything.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 02:16 PM

Hey, it's good to hear you're hanging in there. I know my vet breaks up the shots&worming into 3 vet visits, and they are each spaced 3 weeks apart. I've always known the majority or people to spay/neuter their pets around 4-6months, I've only recently heard about the early spay/neuter program. I know it doesn't help much but good luck in finding another kitten!

- Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Newt! I'm so glad you posted. Your vet will guide you. Usually, there are shots at 6 and 12 weeks and spaying/neutering around 6 months. The vet's office will send you reminders to call and make an appointment (usually). I'm sure you now know which vet you prefer. Maleke was right. This kitten will get a wonderful home. Welcome back. Stop in and visit. I think you'll learn a lot from other people's questions too. Besides, we like you and missed you.

There are lots of hints at this site: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... wners.html

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks a bunch guys and congrats to Jeanie on the new title!

by ForJazz
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 03:55 PM

It is good to hear from you. Newt will always be one of the site's little heroes.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
Hi Newt! I have thought about you guys so often and wondered how you were doing. I am so glad to hear that you will be getting a new kitty! I am sure that your new kitty will be glad to have such wonderful parents! I am so happy for you guys!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Does anyone know what I need to do to prepare for the new kitten, in terms of cleaning up?

I already know I need a 1/3 bleach 2/3 water solution for the counters and floor. We also threw out all the old toys...but what about carpets, furniture, walls, etc. The disease supposedly expires 3 weeks outside of the body and cats shed the virus through their feces and urine...but am I missing something? We don't want to take any chances of the new cat getting it...but do I really need to burn my home to the ground?

by ForJazz
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to Louse76
If it expires three weeks after being out of the body, and you're getting a kitten after christmas... then you really have nothing to worry about. I completely understand wanting to make sure your new kitten is 100% safe though. Best of luck with the new kitten... make sure to post pics!

Click above to see Zero's album! Please sign his guestbook!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 12:22 PM

Awww nice to see you around again darling. I'm sure this new kitten will help you to heal many wounds, but Newt was a wonderful cat, not ment to be forgotten.

I've gone to several vets easily 10 through out my ownership of animals. I now work at one myself, it's called Banfield, they are the Pet Hospitals which are inside of some PetSmarts.

Some animals can have reactions to any vaccination, and there is sometimes a slightly higher risk of that when several are given at one time. Typically, with very young kittens (around 8 weeks of age) we like to only give the Distemper Vac, and run a fecal, possibly giving a dewormer at that time. And then in 2 weeks have the patient come back for things like FIV testing/vac. Heart Worm Test, and the other round of Disptemper. There are other optional ones but I personally consider those to be the very basic. And around 4 months of age we like to then give them their rabies (typically before their neuter/spay.)

When you get your cats vaccinations, and what you get, is souly up to you, remember that. If a vet imposes upon you getting everything all done at once on the same visit and you feel uncomfortable, then find another vet, there is nothing wrong with trying to find a better vet, infact it is what we all should do.

As far as cleaning up, if you are as paranoid as I am.

In addition to the bleaching, (which I would recommend doing at least 2 times before the new kitten comes on every surface you can possibly do it on!) Shampooing your Carpet, and furniture.
Scrubbing things like trash cans, remot controls, light switches and door nobs, cabinet doors (The front, sides and backs of them) with disinfectants. Anything you can possibly think of, and I mean everything.
Can you tell I've had to do a lot of quarninteen sessions with all these animals which come through here, hahaha!

Good luck hun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page