I learned something new today... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I learned something new today...

I took my rescue cat, Clyde, to the vet today because his hair hasn't grown back since we got him. The vet assistant clipped his nails like they always do before the vet comes in (so he doesnt get scratched lol). Anyway, the reason for his hair-loss somewhat shocked, yet relieved me at the same time. He had ICKY fleas! I would normally know by now because I'm allergic to fleas *shiver* What I learned is when cats are allergic to fleas, they break out in scabs and/or can have hairloss with really rough fur. The scabs and rough-fur fits my other rescue perfectly. I'm 'relieved' because I thought it might have been feline lukemia, and it isn't something so horrible and can be easily fixed. So the vet gave me a $2 discount on each Advantage tube I bought (6) PLUS I got one free. Which is good, one didn't have anything in it or something...
So now all cats are on flea-products . My 2 were already on something. The reason the rescues weren't on anything was because their previous owners said they were on flea-medicine and didn't know when their last one was given or what brand. I decided to wait a month (now) to give them flea-meds so I wouldn't be doubling doses or anything. STUPID PEOPLE!!
To make me even more upset, Clyde has a heart murmer! So now I have to come up with $200+ to make sure it isn't anything serious... And I really don't have that right now I used to have $1,000 saved up.. and the last 6 months made it disappear for emergencies. Not counting my fiance owes me $500 (but he prolly thinks I forgot lol). But he can't afford it either... My grandma also owes me $200 exactly which I hope to get next week... Now I'm down to $100 only saved up.. I'm going broke.

Now, what was interesting that I learned? My vet that is dedicated to ONLY cats ... is allergic to cats!!! Isn't that weird?? We were talking and I also found out he was only open for a year, not long at all. He said I could come over and hang out whenever I want too. Which is soo cool. He can't hire me because he's 'new' and don't have that much business yet. Which is understandable now that I know that.

Vet also cleaned his teeth and didn't charge me for it. Maybe I'm on good terms with him, ya think?? I thought Clyde's teeth were horrible. He said they were very good considering his age. Hmm.. Maybe my cats teeth are too clean? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Aonir, Vets should be able to tell the difference between an innocent murmur (or functional murmur) by just listening. An innocent murmur disappears as the kitten grows. A dangerous murmur can cut down life expectancy. Perhaps your vet thinks the sound is not clear enough? - or that it is borderline. However, before you spend that $200, get that clarified. What can be done if is a defect in the heart? Perhaps, if it's not dangerous, the vet could check it again in a few months. I'm puzzled. Not that I am an expert, but am going by the experience I've had with breeding cats and dogs and raising four human children, two of whom had innocent murmirs. I've also had pups with innocent murmurs and one with a dangerous murmur. The vet knew the difference immediately.

I'm sure that if your fiance is honest, he won't mind making payments on that $500. It's better not to borrow or lend-or even do business when a family member or friend is involved. You might never see that money again--especially if he's avoiding the subject. Have you two set a date yet? I don't mean to be cynical, but when you owe someone money, doesn't it drive you crazy until you have paid it back? I hope he feels that way.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

my Angel has a nom-serious heart murmer, and he told me not to worry about hers.. That was 6 months ago. He said it sounded kind of bad and that we should get it checked out by a professional which he would refer to me one. Since he's 10 years old, it would mean it either came up not to long ago, or it isn't that serious and he had it most of his life... One of tehe two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:37 AM

We see a lot of flea allergies at our practice, and don't worry your not the only one who's learning about it for the first time.

I'm sure if/when the vet has time, he would love to tell you more and teach you other things. I'm a bit of a floating CSC right now at our practice so the Dr. takes the time now and then to show me things that I would need to know or identify to become a pet nurse.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page