Indoor or Outdoor Kitties - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Indoor or Outdoor Kitties

Hello,
My vet always tells me that my cats will live longer happier lives if I keep them in the house. I disagree and think they are meant to be outside enjoying the world as well as my home. I am wondering what the consensus is around here? Ang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Cat Addict

idlegabble check out this old thread:

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23

Visit The Animal Rescue Site at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
feed an abandoned or abused animal.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:44 PM

Indoor! Indoor! INDOOR!!!

Um, I vote for indoor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 01:20 AM
Cool Cat

If a cat gets used to being outdoors, it will most likely not be content to live inside. However if you bring it up from kittenhood as an indoor cat (more than one cat is better because they always have a companion and playmate) they can live happy lives safe inside.

Read the recent thread entitled "Missing" to see how a cat owner's heart is broken by their cat wandering away and not returning.

There are far too many dangers for cats and even though they can defend themselves against some of them, they have no chance against a car, an animal abuser or a large predator.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:04 AM

All four of my cats are indoor, only going outside on a harnesses. It's safer for them that way.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
My cats have never been outside. There are just too many dangers out there--cars, disease, and the possibility of damage from other cats and dogs. A wound on a cat gets infected easily. I learned the hard way when I was younger.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 02:53 PM

Indoor! I've lost 3 cats to cars, 2 came home with SERIOUS injuries. And now, all my cats are indoor kitties.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:27 AM

INDOOR ONLY.

Pending any ferals which are incapabile of being reabilitated to the indoors that is.
It is safer for them, i'd take their life over any "oh, well he likes to bath in the sun" statement, or the "he never leaves our front yard" which countless times I have found to be untrue, and unfortuantly at the cost of said cats life.
Plus the more you are around them, and actually living with them and interacting with them, you have a better chance of forming a stronger bond.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelZoo
Pending any ferals which are incapabile of being reabilitated to the indoors that is.
I 'somewhat' disagree with that. I've tamed several ferals and they all got used to the indoors.. And a couple ended up being afraid of the outdoors!

But MOST of them love the outdoors. But the feral part of it makes it mpre hard to let them out, for fear they really will never come back.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Wow!!!

You guys are pretty one way on this one!!! I have never lost a cat to a car or runaway so I can't really imagine it not being right for them to be outside. Do you all mostly live in rural or residential areas, larger cities? If I was in a major urban center I would definately keep my kits inside but we are in a semi-rural area and they love it out there. I guess it is important to start them inside as kittens so that they don't know the difference maybe. Thanks for your replies!!! Ang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page