Kitty is not happy at home? :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Kitty is not happy at home? :(

My kitty Gill, who is a one year old male, ran away in May this year, and when he came back two days later, never tried to get out again. Every time I even opened the door to bring him outside while I was holding him..he would try to wiggle out of my arms and back inside. NOW, the little bum is running outside...luckily my mom has just gone out and grabbed him..but I am afraid he will run away like last time. He has no front claws because he is an indoor cat, and he is in a new neighbourhood. What should I do?? He is too fast to always stop him...should I put a collar on him? Spray him with water when he comes near the door? I dunno!! Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 04:39 AM
Cool Cat

I'm sure many cat owners face this. I guess you have to be very alert when you are ready to open a door. If he is ready to run when the door is opened, pick him up and carry him with you as you go through the door, then close the door almost all the way, and with one hand set him back inside and quickly close the door as you pull your hand out. It sounds like you are not the only one living there so everyone has to be aware of this.

I've had to do this when Barnaby first got the desire to want to escape. He managed to get out the first few times when I was not aware of his intentions (into the attached garage) and just hid under the car (right in the middle where you could not reach him). And who says cats are not as smart as dogs?

Are his attempts to get out the only indication that makes you think he is not happy inside?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 02:58 PM

A lot of cats, once they get a taste of the outdoors keep wanting to go back out because it's new and exciting.
Others however will be so scared from the experience they never want to go out again.

Keep him indoors, and stay very alert to when people come in and out of the house.

If you have to, when someone comes to the door, or you have a lot of people leaving at one time, put the cat in a room behind a closed door until everyone has left and the doors are closed up.
When you enter or leave your home and the cat comes rushing up to the door, stomp your feet really hard on the floor, and slowly walk towards the cats direction to scare her away from the door way, and then quickly slip outside.

No dog or cat has ever gotten passed me, and I use this method and more when needed.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice!! the main thing is that I moved to London from Woodstock, and where I moved to doesn't allow pets, so my mom is caring for my cat. So I guess I have to pass the tips to her!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 11:53 PM

If you are sure to keep your cat indoor at all times you need to make him not like it outside. My vet said that she is actually clipping her cats' nails on the porch (=outside) there fore they don't like it there.
She also told me that usually they freak out if they go outside and want to come right back in. Frosty got but a few steps away once because somebody wasn't careful enough. But he stopped as soon as he layed foot outside the door puzzled.
I just make noises like clap my hands+say out loud "NO NO NO". Sometime when I am just about to walk in he is right there and he can get out for sure. I knock on the door in order to make him go away+ Doodles, the pom is jealous if anybody else is first to great me but her so she'll chase him away from the door.
He is doing better right now - thanks to the noises and Doodles
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 03:20 AM
Premier Cat

If your cat is trying to get out, definitely try to make loud stomping noises and squirt them with water every time you come in or leave. Sugar always used to try to go out and when we leave always rests herself right by the door. Twinkie is never to be seen! Just make sure you scuff her with your feet too, b/c they dont usually like shoes and feet and loud noises. Hope that works for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page