Do pets really remember? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Do pets really remember?

Some people say that pets are just stupid, some people say they are smart, that maybe they really can understand a few English phrases.

Are they (cats & dogs) able to remember? Let's hear your story supporting this.

A girl I used to work with, named Wendy told me that she had a dog. Can't remember what breed it was. She allowed it to sleep in her bed with her every night. Her 1st semester of college, she went away to dorms, leaving the dog with her Mom. At the end of the semester, Wendy came home to visit Mom & dog. The dog growled at Wendy whenever she tried to touch or pet it.
Mom says the dog was pretty pissed when Wendy left for college.

Wendy starting visiting Mom & dog more often, and gradually, the dog started to allow her to pet it once again.

Funny story. I wonder if cats can remember anything, considering the popular myth of their 10-second memories.

--
Hilary Duff is America's Sweetheart & an international HeartBreaker.

"FAILING = Finding An Important Lesson, Inviting Needed Growth" -- Gary Busey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 05:52 AM

I had a cat 2 years ago that got out through a hole in my window screen.She had never been outside so I searched everywhere for her,but she was gone. Just this past summer I went out my door and saw a black cat in my yard. I just knew that this visitor was her.She turned to run away and I called her name.She stopped and turned to look at me. Then she came right up to me mewing softly. I picked her up and gave her a big hug. She had remembered me from 2 years ago! Since she was in obvious good health and had a collar so I knew someone had found her and taken her in. A big part of me wanted to take her back,but I couldn't because she had a new family. It was enough to know she had found a home. So I just sat outside and visited with her for a few minutes and then I let her go. I haven't seen her since. This experience proves to me cats have a longer memory span than ten minutes!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 01:29 PM

one of my uncles took care of the family dog for a week whle we all went on vacation. now, whenever he goes over to my folk's (usually on holidays), my dog throws a fit he's so happy to see him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 03:57 PM

It was very selfless of you to allow your cat to stay with her new owners, Raina_Stardust, especially as you must have been really pleased to see her again. I'm not sure if I'd be able to do that if my cat went missing - I'm just too attatched to him!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Cat Addict

Punky remembers things.

She remembers that when my alarm clock goes off every morning, it's breakfast time.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Cat

My inlaws got some cats from the Helen Krauss center for abused/abandone animals. The cats are very fearful of a broom, probably from the previous owner. It's been two years and they still run away at the sight of a broom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

by ForJazz
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 08:11 AM

Hi
I think cats definitely remember things very well

my partner usually leaves for work before me, but this morning he was going in late
so one of our cats came in for some food, then heard my partner moving around in the front room
and he looked startled, and looked at me as if to say 'who's that in their' as my partner wouldn't normally be there,
it was really uncanny, and the cat left his food to go and investigate (maybe he thought we had a burglar)
but it was really quite impressive
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raina_Stardust
I had a cat 2 years ago that got out through a hole in my window screen.She had never been outside so I searched everywhere for her,but she was gone. Just this past summer I went out my door and saw a black cat in my yard. I just knew that this visitor was her.She turned to run away and I called her name.She stopped and turned to look at me. Then she came right up to me mewing softly. I picked her up and gave her a big hug. She had remembered me from 2 years ago! Since she was in obvious good health and had a collar so I knew someone had found her and taken her in. A big part of me wanted to take her back,but I couldn't because she had a new family. It was enough to know she had found a home. So I just sat outside and visited with her for a few minutes and then I let her go. I haven't seen her since. This experience proves to me cats have a longer memory span than ten minutes!
That's a very sweet story - can help put people's minds at ease who loose pets.

I'm quite sure that all pets have a memory to some extent and are usually underappreciated in that respect.

Moby associates the apartment door with fear. ANYTHING to do with the door possibly opening if associated with this. Such as the apartment buzzer and even unlocking it for visitors. And he has now started to go to the bathrub when I go into the bathroom because I put some water in there for him a couple times.

Even ducks have a remarkable memory (we had some at my parents place). Enough to go back to a spot where the were given treats the next day expecting some.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

Raina_stardust

That is so brave of you to let your cat go back to its new owners! I dont think I could do that but that is very sweet of you.

I really think they remember things, I mean every morning if my alarm goes off, both my cats start walking all over me if its after 11am. If no alarm they just go outside and walk around the carpet back and forth meowing like crazy! They associate bathtub with a shower so are never to be seen near the tub when the water is on anymore!

My old dog Polo ran away for like a week, my ex bf house is like 1 1/2 miles away and its hard to get there b/c you take a lot of turns and twists to get to his house and omg, my dog Polo was sitting in front of his driveway just sitting there! Of all places and he called me and I drove over there and it was him. I couldnt believe it since he has only been to my ex-bf house like 3 times! Well that just goes to show, animals do have some sort of rememberance and memory, not just for 10 seconds!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

I think cats remember tramatic things especially. My Johnny won't go near dishtowles ever since my dad scared him with one. However, I think I read somewhere or heard that they can only remeber 3 months back. So for example, each time it snows the first time in the winter, it's like new to them since they can't remeber it from last year. Anyone agree with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page