Cat Forum banner

Transitioning to Freshflow?

787 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Lori 
#1 ·
So after all I've seen on this board praising them, and the fact that I'm concerned about the urinary tract health of my kitty, I went out today and got him a Freshflow fountain.

My question is that he seems a bit leery of it, and I wonder if anyone else had any difficulty getting their kitty used to it at first. He'll sniff at it, and seems to have gotten water up his nose about three times, but so far, no drinking. He was not a faucet drinker before this, although he did seem to love to try to lick the sink or tub after they were used.

Lando is not a fearful kitty normally, nor is he particularly averse to change, so I think it might just be a matter of time. Right now his old bowl is sitting right next to it so that he can get used to the hum and so he at least has something to drink. I put some treats on the rim as the instructions recommended, but he promptly just knocked them into the water. He did try to get them out, though. Water up the nose and little sneezes...

Any thoughts on the transition?
Thanks!

#3 ·
No, it's full and the pump is firmly in place and everything. The pump does produce a very low-frequency hum (you can only hear it if you put your ear very close to the fountain), similar to that of a fish tank filter pump. The manufacturer's directions refer to it. It's not a vibration or buzz, just a typical electric hum. Nothing with a motor is 100% silent: it just seems that way to us because we are so used to ambient noises in our environment.

But anyway...
Today I noticed that Lando seems to be making his peace with the fountain, and even experimented with drinking directly from the stream. I had to show him that it was safe, though, by sitting next to it, dipping my fingers in the water, and letting him lick it off.
So I think we're ok. Thanks, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.