Kitty Litter-training help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Kitty Litter-training help!

I hope this is the right forum, I wasn't sure if this should be in cat behaviour or not.. so please bear with me... My kittens are around four weeks old and still refuse to be litter trained.. and I don't know what to do. The mother refuses to use the litter box now (she was deeply offended when I trained her to use the outdoors ) and the kittens seem to be following hte same track.. except they use the carpet instead of the box. I moved it to the place they seemed to have been using as a toilet, except.. they haven't been using the box either, and now I have no idea where they are relieving themselves. I put them in the box after they eat.. and still to no avail. Does anyone know what I should be doing/ what I'm doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

ANyone? o.o;
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Cool Cat

Hang in there. The weekend is usually slower on the forum. Many members don't get on their computers much especially if the weather is nice.

Being that the kittens learn from their mother and she will not use the box that's a tough one. Have you tried a different type of litter and I don't know what type of box you use but the covered ones are not recommended. Cats naturally like to bury their feces in a sandy type substance so maybe she doesn't like the texture or the smell. Work on getting mom to use the box first and if you can do that the kittens will learn the rest from her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 09:57 AM

I wish I could be of more help. The only suggestion I have is to put them in the box after they eat, but you have already tried that.

Is the litter box low enough for the kittens to access? Maybe they can't get in on their own?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:15 PM

The type of litter can be a reason. First try switching to Purina brand(worked best out of all I tried) unscented litter. Buy the small sandy one. Place the food bowl far away from the litter box. Make sure the litter box is big enough and easily accessible by the kittens. If they refuse to use it, pick up their feces and dump them in the litter box and they will eventually get the point. Don't dump too much in there since cats would refuse to use a dirty-smelly litter box. Clean the floor where they pooped on.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Cat

Best thing for kittens. If you find a poop,put it IN THE LITTER BOX to get they get the hint.If you see them gonna pee IN THE LITTER BOX...and just keep putting them IN THE LITTER BOX. They will catch on.I know i've litter trained MANY MANY MANY KITTENS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page