2 different cats? Please help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

2 different cats? Please help

Hello cat lovers,

I need some help.

[Story]

I have multiple cats, all from the same litter. I used to have a black and white cat named Sylvester. He had a little white mustache, and white paws. Also, he had a white spot on his chest and a white, tiny, tiny white spot of hairs on his upper nose. Well my older cat Tommy used to fight with him, and they got in a big scuffle one night and Sylvester stopped coming home. He would venture off for a few weeks, and return out of the blue and leave again. This persisted for around 3-4 months. Well one night it rained really hard and he came out after he had been gone for about 2 months. After that night, he disappeared. It has been roughly 3 months now since he has been home.

Well our dog had to be put to sleep a few days ago, so when we took her down to the pound, we decided to see if Sylvester had been found. We had checked before, but no luck. To our surprise we found a cat that looked EXACTLY like him (or so we thought). We were so excited; we checked him over and took him home (this was 2 days ago). Last night was his first night home. Me and my sister were calling him Sylvester, and playing with him, but he didn’t take too well to his brothers at all. He would hide, and they would hiss. We thought this might be because he had been gone a long time and they didn’t recognize his scent or something.

After a while, we started to be suspicious that we took the wrong cat. For one, he was found about 3 miles away from where we live. That would have meant he would have had to cross a valley of bluffs to get where they found him. Well after considering that, we took out an old photo of Sylvester, taken in his prime (he is less than a year in the photo) and compared the two cats.

Well... both cats have a mustache. But the new cats’ mustache on his upper lip is only on the right side, which is identical to Sylvester’s, but Sylvester had a tiny patch of white on his left too. I kind of thougt he might have grown out of it. Next we examined the white paws. This cats left paw has about 2 inches or so of white on his left arm. Sylvester (from the photo) had about an inch. It's noticeable.

I'm not sure if cats’ markings can grow or disappear. His mustache is a tad different, and so are his paws. But... he always had a white patch of hair on his nose... and this cat has it too. Just like I remember it. He has gained weight, but he was getting bigger before he left, he was a very lazy cat.

[/story]

So, what I need to know from some experts here is whether a cat can have changed markings as it grows. The resemblance is uncanny. His eyes, just the way he looks at me reminds me of Sylvester.

Here is a picture of Sylvester when he was less than a year old

And here is the new cat, or old one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Premier Cat

New cat-

Sylvester-

For some reason I couldnt see them in your post.
Cats can change colour as they get old, not to a huge degree but it can be noticable.

To me from a quick look they seem to be the same cat, but it is hard to tell.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 09:59 AM

To me it looks like a completely different cat. The white paws markings go higher on the new kitty, along with a mark on the forehead. But haven't seen the kitty in months is a good reason to get confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 10:12 AM

Yep, the two kitties look different to me, too.

Lisa
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 10:31 AM

looks like different kitties, here, too.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:20 AM

2 different cats. Do you plan on keeping the new kitty anyways?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 03:58 PM

Cat markings can change slightly. However the tone of the colors can change drastically depending on breed.

As for cats being able to travel far distances.. There was once an article about a miracle cat in China.

The owner was allergic to her cat and decided she can't keep it any longer. She then drove 70km and dropped it off at her relative's house who was willing to adopt the cat. The next morning, she received a call from her relative saying that the cat disappeared. She thought the cat probably got scared of the new people and decided to live outside as a feral. Three days later, when she woke up in the morning, she heard a cat meowing infront of her house. She opened the door and saw her cat at the door step. The cat was worned out and lost almost half its weight. The cat immediately ran to its favorite lounging spot, the sofa, and rested a long time. The owner was so touched, she decided to just put up with the alergy and keep the cat.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:07 PM

I would have to agree and say that the two cats aren't one and the same. They look similar but I don't think that the markings would have changed so drastically if he only grew just a little bit more. Now... if he were a little kitten... I could see his markings changing like that... but not a cat his size.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:36 PM

Well, it looks like two different cats to me, but I think I think you should keep the new guy.......he is a cutie
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Cool Cat

same here, looks like two different cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page