Cutting claws.... should it be this easy? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Cutting claws.... should it be this easy?

My babies are getting a bit sharp claws so I decided I'd give them a little trim while they were snoozing in my lap. Suzy didn't even flinch, she just let me do all 4 paws without even caring. Sam was more curious and tried to bite the clipper a few times, but he let me clip his claws no problem. As long as I let him attack the clipper he was fine.

Is it supposed to be this easy? I've heard horror stories about kittens hanging in the ceiling rather than have their claws trimmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 01:52 PM

It depends... cutting Clover's nails puts her right to sleep, and Tony is a little more difficult but still lets me. Jasper and Jesse (the two longhaired kitties) will not let us get anywhere near their paws. They go up to Petsmart to get them clipped.

Don't know if this is relevant... it's really easy to clip my rabbits' nails, too.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 01:53 PM

Envy is like that, she doesn't care one bit. Chaos is a different story, he yowls like im torturing him even before I make the first cut and struggles to get off my lap. I have to get my Fiance's help to hold him still so I don't accidently cut too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 01:59 PM

For me, it seems as though the more I do it the easier it gets. They don't seem to mind much anymore. Actually Bagheera is so laid back you can do almost anything to him and he doesn't care.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Cat Addict

Yes, the earlier you start doing it, the better. By doing it on a regular yet frequent basis, they get used to it and not care as much.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I have been playing with their paws a lot. Didn't want to cut the claws until they've settled in properly in their new home so I have been touching their paws, pressing down on them to get the claws out ect, but never done anything until today. I'm so happy they accept me playing with their paws and ears, which should make life a lot more easy the day it really needs taking care of.

Now I have two very content cats purring beside me... almost hard to type since they like to lay ON me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 07:53 PM

When you start them as kittens, it's a breeze. Jack and Mia were older and unfamiliar when I got them. They were SO afraid of the clippers at first -- it was a total pain! I'd have fur all over me and I'd only be able to do 1 or 2 nails at a time. Then I'd have to calm them with treats and petting and the whole shebang. It took me 2 hours to do both of them! Now with lots of patience, they are a total breeze as well. No complaints, and I can get all four paws at once.

My brother just adopted a little kitten, I showed him how to clip the nails and I did all four at once -- the kitty fell asleep! Kittens are definitely easier -- you're lucky.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 11:04 PM

Maleke is ok when I clip his nails, Magic HATES it and complains as if I'm torturing him!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I wish they liked the shower as much as the nail clipper!

I took a shower last night and it was hot so I left the door open and the kittens were racing about, playing. One of them decided to do a detour to get the other kitten off and realized it was wet in there and skid pretty badly on the wet floor before skidding out. I've never seen so disturbed kittens before, it was like I had committed murder.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Cat Addict

Thomas loves the shower! As soon as I turn on the water he comes running, skids around the door and leaps up on the side of the tub. He mostly just sits there. But sometimes he gets in, runs through and jumps out the other side. Also, he throws his mice into the shower with me, and then sits there like...okay throw it for me. So I do (I'm trained real well).

I've clipped his nails ever since I got him, he used to sleep through it, now he stuggles to get away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page