Does anyone have a 3 legged cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have a 3 legged cat?

I know that probably sounds like a silly question but......... My very best friend runs a Vet Clinic, it is a small community of about 15,000. Because of lack of funding they have also made themselves the countys animal shelter, their hearts are HUGE! And praise the Lord they are no kill. Added advantage is that these small animals get fantastic care being a Vet Clinic. Okay back to my subject(me, of many words ) I adopted Kizie and Journey from them.
They have a 6 week old kitten coming in next week, she will be removed from her farm family siblings because of a birth defect a stub back leg. The family is afraid she will be unable to defend herself against preditors (I'm soooo glad they came to that She was born in a barn (I know it's difficult to understand the outdoor cats but this is Southern Iowa and for most, sadly so, cats are for mice control not for pets . Of course, my opinion is different and of course I don't speak for everyone but in the country sometimes their purpose is so sadly menial.
Her stub limb is a nuisance to her and she hasn't quite adapted to it so, she drags it, it becomes raw and then infected. So they have already started her on antibiotics and when the infection is cleared and she is good and strong the plan is to amputate the infected stub by the hip. I was told that cats do fine on three legs, I had a cat that I had to amputate his tail but I was wondering if anyone else heard or had a three legged baby? I already have her named Pray the surgery goes well. I know Maleke is going to have a two legged sweet kitty but I was curious as to three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:32 PM

Yes, I have met many happy 3 legged cats. I personally, have never owned one, but I have seen many at the vet hospital. Animals adjust to handicaps much better than people, and especially since she is so young, I am sure she will be fine. Bless you for taking her in What's her name?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:36 PM

I have a 3-legged boy, but it's one of his front legs missing. He does just fine. My best friend has a boy with a back leg missing; he does fine, too. They can even jump--although perhaps not as high as a 4-legged cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Wow, how neat is that!!! Jumping, huh!! I know tres(don't know how to spell it in EsSpanol, don't even know how to spell EsSpanol, I got C's in the class, over 25 years ago, no excuse but I'm making one means three in Spanish) and I thought I would name her Tressie! What do you think or can you think of other good names? Kristi can your three legged baby boy go up and down steps?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:51 PM

I think Tressie is a perfect name! How cute
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:21 PM

I have a 2 legged cat....does that count?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 11:06 PM

I don't have one personally, but I've met two in the past... both were soooo sweet. One had a missing front leg and one a missing back leg. Both were kinda lazy and didn't want to come out of their cages (they were at the place where i clean cages). I guess that's because it's harder to get around with just 3 legs.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:25 AM

i woudlnt mind owning a 3 legged cat... nail trimming gets done faster.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:23 AM

all 3 legged cats i have heard of are named tripod. i love it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Catobseesed4, what you wrote about the two cats one with a missing front and one with a missing back. I was again talking to my Vet friend and...... Well, today the police brought a young male cat in that was rescued from a trap. He had been in there they are guessing for quite some time, he is seriously dehydrated and started eating his own flesh away to free himself from the trap, his front leg is only bone, his paw is gone. They will attempt to remove his front leg. Right now their greatest fear is how the amputation and blood loss will affect him, he is deathly ill. The first 48 hours will be crucial. Poor,poor baby. They aren't sure of this lit'l guy because he needs the surgery now but his body is fighting to just live. Please pray for him. Dare we adopt another? (the house is Big,we've restored a over 100 year old farmhouse, so you betcha ) I've named him Jonah. Lord willing he will survive.( Faile, do I dare have duo tripods? you are so sassy and funny Faile,(Lapchern, you might as well pull up a chair next to Faile,too!) I enjoy the humor, THANX!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page