When do cats start to mellow down? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

When do cats start to mellow down?

my kitten is all sleep eat and play

when do they start mellowing down into just sleep and eat (and some play)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 04:33 AM

Envy is five months old and still acts like a kitten
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 06:01 AM

tyson started being more mellow around 6 months, but he was neutered at about 3 months old. then again, he's a tabby cat, and definitely has his "Garfield" lazy traits

tyra still acts like a kitten, but she's probably got some siamese in her, and supposedly, they tend to be more active.

they're both about 11 months old, so i'm going to assume with young cats, it all depends on their personality & breed/mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Tom Cat

I am interested in hearing opinions on this topic. Our two guys will be 2 in August, and they haven't showed any signs of mellowing out. I am disappointed (in a sense) because I was hoping to get at least 1 lap cat. I think they are still so active because they are happy and healthy and spoiled rotten. They are *Heinz 57* strays that were born in our backyard to a feral mama cat. I think they are mostly tabby with a mix of *maybe* Abysinnian thrown in, (just based on how they behave)...............but would still call them DSH.

I hope they mellow out someday, but we still love em as they are. They are really good boys for the most part..............when they want to be.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Cat Addict

I'd say, oh...about 12. Even now Sabby gets that crazy look in his eyes right before he goes tearing through the apartment. He'll be 15 in August.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 12:54 PM

Generally it happens at about a year. This varies widely. Some cats never calm down. Some cats settle down earlier.

I have one that is an eternal kitten. For a while I thought she was actually settling down and mellowing...turns out she had some dental problems. Poor thing. After having SEVEN teeth removed in an emergency dental procedure she went back to her old kitten self.

It's pretty rare that they'll settle down much at all before 8 months. They usually get worse (because they are smarter and stronger) and wreak more havoc before it gets better.

~Heather
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 05:39 PM

Well, Gaylord is almost 3 and he is still absolutely CRAZY
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Premier Cat

most cats I think start to calm to calm down when reaching the 10 month mark. Altho like many others have said they still have their crazy sprees. Pebbles is the most miserable cat ever who doesnt play. She is 14 years old, she still has her nutter sprees where she runs around the house like a maniac, the kittens look at her in shock because she is the miserble grumpy one!
The others still have their moments when they be nutters, they are 11 months old now. In the last couple of months they have definatly clamed down A LOT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Premier Cat

Never.
Seriously, Velvet has certainly mellowed out over the years. She is now 10 and has occasional spurts of running around and yowling. If I recall correctly it was shortly after she turned a year old that the high-energy kitten behavior became less and less.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:16 PM

Stix calmed down after his 9 month birthday. He used to bite people for no reason and practically run up the walls like he had rabies. I do think that me having him neutered around 6 months and getting him a playmate (Kota) had something to do with it though. She is his punching bag now. But she fights back...and wins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page