Another potential kitty ^_^ - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Another potential kitty ^_^

My fiance and I went to petsmart today to get prices on food and such - guess what we saw? 4 Solid black kitties... I've always wanted a solid black cat... and they were so squirmy and cute!

They are 75 bucks to adopt - and I believe in the area we live in we can get him neautered for 10 dollars (if you buy from a shelter)! That is... IF we can get the kitty before they are bought up... which I doubt we'll get the chance anyway.

I was just thinking... it would be nice to be able to get a playmate for the kitty we are getting - and since they were bought at the same time - then they might not fight each other that much. Tigger might not be able to go with us after all - since we would have to change EVERYTHING that we bought for him - and since he might not like being couped up in a little apartment. =/ Plus... since he has a nack for getting out - I'm worried that he might get out - and we will be living right in the middle of a city - something he has only had to deal with once in his life... and that was probably 8 years ago. That... and it boils down to this really... my dad will probably not let me take him with me... doh!

Anyways - just wondering what you guys thought - or to keep me in your thoughts and prayers when I'm trying to make the decision to get a playmate for Mr. Halifax or not. Just pray for me to make the right decision and hope that one - or if I decide to get another - both babies do well and are happy and healthy. ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 01:10 AM

Black Cats are awesome...About 90% of the cats I have ever owned are black male cats! *LOL* I want an orange tabby next though... actually I want all kind of cats! Whatever you decide I am sure you can get support from all of us here.. *hugs* Good luck on your decision
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 02:57 AM

I have always wanted a black cat, too Hmmmmm.....my poor apartment is bursting at the seams Keep us posted, and we are all here for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 10:48 AM

I think my next kitty will be an all-black kitty. I think they always look so elegant and thoughtful!

Lisa
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 10:55 AM

Thanks for sharing the prayer request Gabi You can bet I'll be praying for you! What a great decision to prayerfully consider it, I try to do that with most decisions that I need to make. I have a black cat, Chico, he is our third black cat since we got married. Lucas and Kobe are now gone My husband especially loves black cats and I do too!! The only complaint I have is he's hard to see at night. He is a sweet kitty that loves for some reason to get under our feet, I should get a glow in the dark collar Just remember watch your step or turn a light on because they are as black as night! But they are so sleek and mysterious looking! Let us know what you decide okay?!!!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

New news:

I'm really thinking about doing it - I'm getting paid tomorrow (hopefully) so I'm going to go check out petsmart and see what the process of adoption is.

Problem:

I still live with my parents - but as you know I will be moving out soon. However... I have not mentioned the cats to my parents yet... as one of them is vacationing in Europe and I don't know what to expect out of the other one. (I really don't want to hear "No! You can't get a cat" Especially after I paid the breeder $100) And since I will be leaving in a month anyway.

IF I am getting both cats I HAVE to bring them both back home the same day. If I brought my Himmie -my parents will probably not freak out too much - just say to me "Um...***f? Why did you get a kitty again? Oh well... it's so cute! It's ok!" and then two days later I brought home another cat... my parents might me so forgiving. I'd rather both of my kitties be under the Aw-they-are-so-cute rule rather than confront my parents with two different cats seperatly. *sigh* Everything is so complicated!

I'm thinking about heading to petsmart and asking if they actually hold cats for a little while - while people are getting ready to recieve. The problem was... and still is... that I don't know when my fiance is getting paid and when he can buy the little boy from the breeder. If things were a BIT more clearer as far as when he was getting paid I could make a nice battle plan - but as it stands I can't plan anything.

God... I'm almost 22 years old and I feel like a 5 year old that's trying to hide a stray kitty in the closet.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

It's a no go. =( I am a part of another cat chat - and one of the members told me that it would probably be in my best interest to actually tell my father that I was going to get some kitties rather than surprise him and hope he accepts them. I thought that it would be a good idea - and maybe relieve some stress because of my father not knowing... now it has kind of backfired and I am so stressed it's getting hard not to cry.

Here is what I posted on the other forum:

We went to the farmer's market today - me and my dad - and they had kitties there from the humane society. I held one for a little bit - my dad something along the lines of "Tigger will eat him" or something.

I got home and jokingly told him that I would go back and get him - and he told me "No your not." I asked him why and he told me that I didn't need anymore animals - that I had two hedgehogs and a cat already (which I won't be able to take). He said that I especially don't need a stray or anything like that and that I should be happy with what I have.

I was going to ask him later on... but he didn't even take to well at LOOKING at the cats - nor did he take it well when I even thought of getting one and joked around... he had this really serious look on his face.

Which makes me feel REALLY sick right now knowing that I have ALREADY put 100 dollars down on a cat. Not that he is a stray... but I guess I'm not going to get a little playmate for Halifax after all... if he'll even let me have him that is!

I'm trying not to cry right now - I'm not sure if I should tell him - or just pick up Mr. Halifax when it's time... I know I can't get a stray now that I've mentioned it and he said no... so I really don't want him to say "no" to a cat I've already invested money into... not to mention that it's non-refundable... not that I would let the cat go in any case..

Anyway... I'm going to the bank right now to put my money in... hopefully I can figure everything out... hopefully I can clean up my little hedgehogs and leave the house before I break down.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 03:04 PM

I really don't mean to be nosy, but sounds like you're really scraping for money right now...living from paycheck to paycheck. And to be quite honest, that's not the best environment to bring ANOTHER kitty into...especially if one of your cats is going to cost hundreds of dollars. And sneaking around is never a good sign...so perhaps you should just think about it in the sense that everything happens for a reason. I'm not really clear on your living situation -- it sounds like you're living with your parents, but it also sounds like you have an apartment in the city? I guess I'm just curious as to how much say your dad actually has here. If you're living in an apartment, then go ahead and get Mr. Halifax. But he'll be perfectly happy alone, so don't worry about a playmate for him. If this is your parents house that you are living in, though...then it really should be their call.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 05:44 PM

Sorry to hear things aren't working out like you wanted I think if it was me, I would just try to wait until I got the apartment for the 2nd cat.....now, having said that, I have been known to pull a few fast ones in the name of another pet Sometimes it has worked, sometimes it hasn't, but it is always better when you have everyone's OK and be out in the open........but, it is up to you
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForJazz
I really don't mean to be nosy, but sounds like you're really scraping for money right now...living from paycheck to paycheck. And to be quite honest, that's not the best environment to bring ANOTHER kitty into...especially if one of your cats is going to cost hundreds of dollars. And sneaking around is never a good sign...so perhaps you should just think about it in the sense that everything happens for a reason. I'm not really clear on your living situation -- it sounds like you're living with your parents, but it also sounds like you have an apartment in the city? I guess I'm just curious as to how much say your dad actually has here. If you're living in an apartment, then go ahead and get Mr. Halifax. But he'll be perfectly happy alone, so don't worry about a playmate for him. If this is your parents house that you are living in, though...then it really should be their call.
I'll try to answer all the questions =P

Nah - I'm not living from paycheck to paycheck. I DO have quite a bit of money stashed away - in my savings - and I refuse to touch it until an emergency. The only reason I am not buying them right now is because my fiance is the one who wants to buy them for my birthday (and he needs to get the money for them). With the price of the Himmie - the price of his neautering - the price of the adoption - the food - the toys - the collars - the ID tags can all be bought easily once he gets paid - he's making good money - but since he works for the Government... he hasn't gotten paid for like... a month! He has savings too - but he's not touching it either.

Don't worry though - we can afford them - it's just the initial costs... which rounds up to like 600 dollars (if not more) - kind of a lot to start out with. The funny thing is - that was how much one cat was going to cost us... for just the cat itself! Those ragdolls are so cute... but I just couldn't see spending that kinda money for the cat all by itself. Even though we were seriously considering getting him... *whine* =P I just happened to see that little Himmie and all rational thought went away.

Me and the fiance figured it out though - he is going to talk to his mother about keeping one of the kitties with him at his house for now. The playmate is his idea - and he wanted a kitty of his own - so I guess it should stay with him anyway.

Our situation is pretty much this - I live with my parents - he lives with his - we are moving out in August.

~ ~ ~

I hope this next section isn't too personal to have in the general section rather than the "What the owners are like" (can't remember the name) section =/ This is what home sweet home is like for me:

I know that sneaking around is never good - but it's kinda hard to be very honest when you've got a dad like mine. If it were up to him - I would never leave the house and cook and clean for him for the rest of my days. While I do love my father, he is a bit of a control freak and doesn't put much worth on what women say anyway (just like his dad before him). I've listened to countless stories from my grandma telling me just the same things that my mother and I have done countless times before - trickery to get things that we need or want. It's kinda hard to talk to a man who says "no" to just about everything you do - and will NOT change his mind... and if he is forced to... he gets... really... REALLY upset... so sometimes we have to throw up a 'surprise' for him - and if he gets mad just feign that we didn't know that he would be displeased. Situations range from vacations... dating... visiting relatives on my mother's side... working... going to school... and this is me at 21 years old!

As the only woman in my house (with my mother away... freakin' lucky gal) I am expected to cook and clean. Fortunatly my father has decided to pay me to clean (not cook though) and that's how I'm making my living at the moment. At any rate... if you knew what a neat freak he was - he's got control over a big portion of my life at the moment... doh... at least I'm getting paid... thank goodness hehe!

I've known it was his call - and I'll do my best to honor what my father has said. In the end I really shouldn't have taken that person's advice - no matter how noble it sounded. I know who my father is - and how he acts - and I should have known better than to tip him off. I know I am my father's daughter and he would do just about anything for me... but it's always going to be a thing where I don't know what I want - I can't chose who I want - and I'll be nothing more than a burden in my house as a woman just is suposed to cook and clean - someone who doesn't bring home the money - until I leave here.

God... I am so excited about leaving...

Sorry if I went to far with my description of my home life - it's kinda hard not to talk about those things when it's such a big part of what makes home... well... home.

I'll try to leave less... umm... weird posts from now on ^_^ and I'll get back to you guys and tell you what happens... if we don't get the second baby... I won't die or anything... no matter how much I wanted him... but I will be getting Mr. Halifax... since he just mentioned strays - and not purebreeds. He actually seemed to like the idea of getting a fluffy cat at some point... so... hopefully he won't be too mad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page