Advice on collars please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Advice on collars please

i'm interested in getting my kitten a bell collar... is there a general feature that a collar needs to have to be safe and as comfy as possible?

http://search.ebay.com/cat-bell-collar_ ... ageZsearch

any recommendations out of the few shown in the above link?

one more question: What's the point of getting a cat a leash when they won't follow you like a dog and, instead, just sit down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Tom Cat

Dusty has always worn a collar since he was a kitten. (I would recommend starting your kitten now, he'll get used to it very quickly.)

Get a "cat safe" collar with a breakaway feature. So, if he does get caught up on something, like cats tend to do, he won't choke himself.

Dusty has never worn a bell, but he does have a tag with our phone number on it - in case he gets outside and gets lost. The tag jingles a little, so I never had a need for a bell. (Which is another thing I would recommend. I found a kitty and it took forever to locate his family because he did not have a collar or tag.)

I have tried to take Dusty out on a leash. He doesn't mind the leach itself, in fact, he really ignored it. But he was so chicken about going outside that we don't need it anyways!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 05:24 PM

It really doesn't matter what collar you get your cat - as long as it stretches for them to get away - or if it has the safety break away. Even with the ID tags and you might want to get him a bell (my cat has learned how to keep his tags silent when he stalks around the house). The bell isn't a requirement - but it comes in handy if he is running away from you (outside) and it's easier to locate him by the sound.

The reason why you would need a leash is if you got him a harness (something I would also sugest that you get). The reason for the harness is so you don't choke him... besides... with the break away collars he would get away anyway.

If you ever needed to take him anywhere (like a petsmart) or if something happened and you NEEDED to leave your home for an emergency evac - it is a must so you can let your pet go to the bathroom at stops. Also - if you were taking him out - and he managed to squirm out of your grasp - he wouldn't be able to get very far.

Harnesses and leashes aren't required either - like the bell - you might not get a chance to use them - but better be safe than sorry I always say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 05:33 PM

Oh yes! I almost forgot!! While some of the collars do look nice on ebay - I might sugest looking at PetSmart.com for some others if these don't fit your cat - or live up to your standards. I'm not sure if you can tell how big or small these collars are online though.

When putting my kitty's collar on I always make sure I can get 2-3 fingers into the collar so I know it's not choking him (wasn't sure if you knew that or not).

I liked these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 49661&rd=1

I liked quite a few of the leather collars as well... where did I put my credit card? *Goes off searching*
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:28 PM

Both of my kitty's wear breakaway collars with reflectant patterns on them (so they can be seen if they get out at night....which they hopefully never will) along with tags with their names and phone numbers engraved in them. Magic also sports a microchip in his shoulder. Yeah, maybe I'm a BIT paranoid...but if they get lost I want them back!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 01:12 PM

Like everyone else has said, a breakaway reflective collar is a must because you never know!

If your cat is going outside, like mine do, I would recommend a bell because otherwise you tend to get little 'presents' left on the doorstep and that ain't nice! I have to put a bell on one of mine or she brings home shrews, mice, birds..you name it. The others don't bother catching anything fast. If your cat doesn't go outside, I can't see why you would need a bell.

I would also recommend microchipping your cat. Its dead simple and relatively cheap (in the Uk it is anyway) and it really is peace of mind.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 02:22 PM

I've never put collars on any of my cats, and I suppose I should, in the unlikely event they get outside, but I just don't. Bad me. I tried with my new kitty, but he just went ballistic when we tried. Figured it didn't make sense to put one on the kitten and not the older cat.

Lisa
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Tom Cat

I tried putting a collar with a bell once and he ripped the bell off... :/ I don't blame em...it is very annoying to have something ringing by your head constantly! i think regular collars are better with nothing hanging.

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 05:01 PM

I have always had collars on my cats....if they want to live with me, they are going to wear a collar!!Thats just the way it is. However, I have NEVER been able to get any of my cats to tolerate a bell on their collar None have ever minded having an engraved ID tag, but the bells seem to drive them crazy!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

my kitten's trying to fight out of her new collar putting it in her mouth to bite it, but she's able to take it out. should i leave it on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page