How to train cat responding to the name given - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

How to train cat responding to the name given

I have a female cat, Trained her to resopnd by the name given. The problem is the cat gave birth to 4 kittens, & I am having a hard time to train 4 cats without the others respond, I'm affraid that all the kittens will respond to the mothers name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 01:19 AM

I would love to know how to train my cats to answer to thier given name!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy
I would love to know how to train my cats to answer to thier given name!
amen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 AM

I walk in the door and say "Hey Poopy Pants" and both cats will look up at me.

Anyway, it sounds like you did a good job with the first kitty, maybe the others will be smart like mom?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 04:29 AM
Cool Cat

How to train a cat responding to name

Ha, ha, Jonsgirl, if I said that on entering the room my Partner would look up at me
But as for training a litter of kiitens to respond to different names, I've no idea! Its so much easier with one cat.

seashell
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 10:27 AM

I'm not sure about this one. I've only had to train one at a time. Mine all basically answer to their names. My youngest one is tempermental though, so he answers when he feels like it. Maybe try and slpit them up and do a short training session with each one
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 01:46 PM

I remember having read that the best way is to call them to the food bowl (preferably separately since there are several kitties involved) and praise them. Meantime rub their head&back slowly (without stopping them from eating) calling their name out loud in a high pitched voice : i.e. "Good boy, Frosty; Frosty is doing such a good job(mommie's baby is so good hehe)" - once again each at a time.
It works with my two kitties

*I have noticed that the high pitched (loving ) voice works really well in getting the cats' attention - accompanied by the praising of course. Frosty dislikes prolonged brushing - which I must do however when he sheds more. SO at times he would turn back and hiss and try to bite me (not in a very aggressive way - just to let me know it is enough). I usually stop for a few minutes talk to him give him some treats telling him he is a good boy letting me do that and I continue. He does move his tail a lot but he will let me finish .
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 11:08 AM

Daily I do a kind of training with my cats.
The first times I gave them goodies (I don't know if it's the right word in english, perhaps also reward?) by saying their names. Now I take a staff and tap on a place where the cats jump to. It's like circus and my cats love it. But first they had to learn their names, so that they know who has to jump.
When I shout Hey Jungs! means Hey guys! the both come running. When I call Caballito (2 years) he comes and answers
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

I see. The kittens are still small, I think next month I'll start training them. the mom (the pic in my avatar) respons to her name. I call her like i call normal other people. She reponds. No need high pitch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 05:26 AM

Both of mine respond very well to their names. If they're off napping somewhere though there is only one way I can get them to come. When I moved to Hawaii my grandmother gave a wave-shapped cookie jar. When you open the lid it plays beach boys' songs. I keep their treats in there and as soon as they hear the Beach Boys they come running from wherever they might be.
Zoe has been responding to it since she was a kitten. In your case though I guess it would defeat the purpose of getting just ONE to come.

I'd like to hear how it goes. Zoe is due in about a week. I'm a nervous wreck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page