travelling - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

travelling

hey there, i thought id come here for a bit of advice on travelling with my cat. we're moving from montreal to saskatchewan (a good 4 day drive, with 3 overnight stop-overs) my vet has told me its not uncommon and my cat, charley, will get over the ordeal in a few days. BUT if any of you have any advice or suggestions on travelling with a cat id really love to hear it!! thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:18 PM

Hi. Welcome to the boards! It all depends on how your cat normally does in the car. Is he usually pretty calm, or does he freak out?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

well, hes never done any long journeys, but he likes short ones. my husband used to bring him in the car to come pick me up from work! it was only about a 30 min journey there and back though. we're going to take him out tonight for a couple of hours, just to practice longer drives. but generally he's fine, and we dont keep him in a box, he just lays on the back seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:26 PM

I'm sure he'll be fine Especially since he doesn't mind the car. My mom's cat likes to ride in the car, too, and it makes it so much easier to take him places. Also, my newest addition, Boris, has been moved around his whole life His old owners moved him to Oregon and back, which is at least a 2 day drive. He seems fine,now, so I'm sure things will go smoothly. I would suggest having a leash and harness on hand for the trip, and of course, make sure he has tags on Good Luck!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 01:46 PM

Sounds to me like he'll be fine.

But, when I traveled by plane from NJ to AZ eleven years ago, I had to give our Tigger (she's now moved on to a higher place) a tranquilizer we obtained from the vet. Not my first choice but she hated the car so much that I knew she'd have a hard time with the plane.

She did fairly well on the trip and I attribute that to the help of a tranquilizer. Hopefully you won't neet to use one but it sure wouldn't hurt to have one on hand just in case he starts getting upset after a day or two.

One never knows with a feline......
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 07:09 PM

I'm sure he'll be fine. I've made numerous moves with my cats, and they were great with it. They did a bit of meowing in the beginning in their carriers, but as we drove, they quieted down and slept. We made sure to stop plenty of times to allow them access to litter and food and water.

Lisa
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 10:51 PM

I'll be moving from Michigan to Flordia in less than two weeks. I am moving three cats and a turtle. My vet was against tranqualizing them. I am driving start through with many stops for litter and water. Plus to let the turtle get in some water.

I'll let you know how it goes
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

ok so we had a trial run...if you can call it that. we planned a drive, and we took charley the cat with us to get him more used to being in the car, and 30 mins in he peed all in his cage, and lay in it.....it was messy, cause he wasnt locked in the cage, he likes to walk around the back of the car, so when he came to sit on my lap i thought he was loving me, until the pee started soaking through that is. so we had turn around and come home.

im having second thoughts.....he might go live at my mother in laws.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 12:06 AM

Yuck...pee accidents are pretty bad I'm sorry it didn't go well....I was really hoping it would. I don't think you should give up yet, though. Have you asked your vet about tranquilizers for Charley? It might be worth a try. Or even an over-the-counter calming medicine, like Feliway or Rescue Remedy. Good Luck
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

yeah i talked to the vet about sedatives/tranquillizers, but she was very against the idea. she said that its a bad idea because cats have a hard time regulating their body temperature....and being sedated doesnt help them. she thinks it might just be more work and concern during the trip than if he was just in the car with us.....if we can get him comfortable that is. maybe we'll have another trial run soon. ill keep you posted! thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page