my wild kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

my wild kitten

I am a new cat owner and I need some opinions from the experts! Well, i jusg got a 10 mo old male cat from teh humane society. he has a couple of issues. First off, he had a cold over a month ago and STILL has it despite being on antibiotics for most of this time. He is better but still not fully recovered. he has two littermates who were better weeks before him.

secondly, he's WILD. He constnatly attacks my feet, my furniture, chews my cords, scratches me. There are intermittant moments of calm when he is tired. But here he is scratching me right as I type this. oh and he just sunk his teeth into my leg.

my question, is this a sign of a BAD cat? People tell me he'll get better after being neutered but I have scratches all over and he's driving me insane and ruining my apartment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:19 AM

Welcome to the boards! Yes, neutering him should drastically improve his behavior....you are lucky he's not spraying yet Thanks for adopting an adult (well, almost adult) cat. They need good homes more than anyone! Have you taken him to a vet since you got him? It sounds like he needs to see one, especially since he is still a bit sick. Good Luck!!
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

ahh typo. i meant 10 WEEKS not 10 months. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Cat Addict

Oh, ten week old kittens are quite wild.

Get some fun toys and play with him.. also give him some toy mice and rabbits feet so that he can have something to focus on other than your legs.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:27 AM

Well, that DOES make a tiny difference, but not much I am still glad you rescued a kitty It is still very important he gets neutered as soon as possible.....and he should see a vet for his cold. Now, just about ALL kittens are pretty wild, especially at 10 weeks They play and play and play.......and don't understand that they are hurting you. It is important to start training him at a young age, as best you can. Clap your hands and say"NO" when he is scratching or biting something you don't want him to. You can also use a small spray bottle, but I wouldn't do that if he is still sick. And just remember, kittens will be kittens!
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

but here is the thing, he is doing it constantly! my friend said his cat was nice and calm and had a good disposition even as a young kitten. So I am worried this will mean that my cat (Twinkie) will end up being a sucky adult cat!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Cat Addict

Nah, don't sweat it. My Elly was an absolute terror as a kitten. She's pretty well-behaved now. Spoiled, but a good girl.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:35 AM

Well, all I can say, is I have yet to meet a calm, well-behaved kitten Your friend is lucky, but he is the exception, not the norm. But I have yet to see a cat that doesn't grow out of the crazy,attack-cat stage When Gaylord was a baby, he was a full-time job I could hardly get any sleep because he kept me up all night, attacking me on the bed
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

ok good to hear! when does attack stage end?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:46 AM

Ha Ha Ha......let me know No, I'm just kidding.....he will probably calm down (somewhat) around 6 months, or when you have him neutered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page